cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft I-E has encountered a problem.......

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Using Internet Explorer V6 and Windows 98 Second Edition, I have started to get an error message purporting to be from Microsoft when trying to open some web pages.

The message says "......Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience........" it goes on to indicate info will be lost and offers the option to send Microsoft the data, by clicking.....

Can anyone help me eliminate the problem?

There's quite a lot of info searching the web with Google, but all the illustrations I've read are for XP users.

Regards and thanks.....

Noel
9 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

I get that from time to time, but with ME (which is similar to 98?).

End up rebooting and clearing all temp files etc and it seems to sort it out for a few weeks. . Doubt if you'll make it go away for ever.

I think the problem is basically that Bill Gates needs a painful death for developing unreliable rubbish like windows
N/A

IE6 error messages

Hello Noel,

Ok! the error messages you are seing are standard IE6 error messages which both IE6 and Windows (i.e. win98 SE) generates when the application (IE6) hits a serious fault or problem. These are commonly problems at the actual programmed code level. In other words within the actual code that runs IE6, usually its a problem with one of IE6's executable files or DLL files or modules, but what happens is that IE6 is no longer able to function correctly. These errors are quite often more alarming than really critical to your computer (windows) or to internet explorer. Often just closing IE6 will be enough to sort the problem out, if the problem continues and the same errors repeatedly occurr then you might have to look at the matter in more detail.

**You can also completely ignore the other message about sending information to Microsoft. Yes! these messages are pre-programmed into IE6 and windows and its just that Microsoft wants to 1) get feedback from users about such faults 2) its also designed to help users. **Personally I dont like this kind of feature, I feel quite uncomfortable with it and so wont use it. I feel there is quite a fine line between helping users and gaining information from users which benefits Microsoft more than anyone else, and as I feel MS are already far to powerful I'm not going to play that kind of game with them.

**Yes! google searches will relate more to XP than Win98 SE as IE6 is woven into windowsXP (the actual operating system, inother words its part of XP) were as with Win98SE you would have to download it & install it or upgrade from a previous version of IE.

Hope that helps matters?

Regards Ivan
-----------------------------------------------------
F9/ FOL Forum Moderator
Broadband Premier 2MB customer
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

I think the problem is basically that Bill Gates needs a painful death for developing unreliable rubbish like windows

More often than not it is some other product produce who has "enhanced" one of the common .dll files that causes these kind of problems - not Bill Gates. Similar problems can arise from modification of registry settings by 3rd party products. Such error messages SHOULD be sent to MS as (a) They may identify that you are suffering a known problem for which their is a fix (b) will help Bill improve his products.

There is no point sitting in an ivory tower complaing about the state of Bill's software if you're not willing to forward system failure reports. Its a bit like the "I don't do politics" advert on the TV.

@Noel, One thing you should do is to ensure that your system is fully updated with OS and IE service packs and security patches.

If you are encountering the same problem with the same web site, it is quite possible that the web site in question has got illegal HTML which kicks IE6 in the guts. What's the web page? Some of us could look at it and see how it behaves on other OS environments.

Cheers,
Kevin
N/A

microshafted

I.E sucks the big 1 mate, dont use it. try Opera, or Firefox if u must but I.E is the worst. oh and by the way in XP we can turn the error reporting rubbish off, if i was you i would be installing XP and using Opera. Cheesy
Alecto
Grafter

I still insist on the painful death for Gates.
His programs should protect themselves against other software, especially when he knows the kind of interactions that are necessary.
But they are so full of options that nobody will ever use and so geek-friendly, trying to cater for everything that everybody will ever conceivably want to do (and so, failing to be much use to anybody), that they will never be anything but errors waiting to happen.
No decent system design establishment would have employed him.

Pity life's not fair, ain't it?
fotobits
Rising Star

townfield wrote :-

If you are encountering the same problem with the same web site, it is quite possible that the web site in question has got illegal HTML which kicks IE6 in the guts. What's the web page? Some of us could look at it and see how it behaves on other OS environments

Thanks Kevin. Amongst others, a site I have trouble with is the Standard & Poor's site.

When searching for Fund performance charts, some work, others respond with the Microsoft error message. The site is :-

http://www.fundprices-sp.com/

I'll be interested to hear what you experience.

Regards and thanks

Noel
N/A

Tried a couple of dozen at random, using Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.4, and everything seems OK.
Community Veteran

I still insist on the painful death for Gates.

Agreed :twisted: I am planning to switch to linux on my main PC but it has just gone belly up and M$ Windows keeps crashing unless started in safe mode, I am taking it to the guy who built it on who will hopefully fix it!
I have ditched M$ for web, e-mail and office suite using thunderbird firefox and open office!

Bring on the slow and painfull death! :twisted:
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks everyone for your comments.

I have waded through the relevant Microsoft support pages listing the errors that generate the particular error message and although the precise error offset obtained is not quoted in the pages, there appears to be only fixes for XP and 2000.

Windows 98 and ME have merely the comment that Microsoft are looking into it.......ie as at Dec 2004.

This is actually where I came in and I'll have to tolerate the problem until I can upgrade my system.

Thanks again and regards........

Noel