cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone Setup

Community Veteran

Microphone Setup

Normally a double click on the sound card icon in the task bar ( Win 98 ) will bring up the Mixer panel.
You will probably find the mic is turned off in here.
18 REPLIES
N/A

Microphone Setup

Can someone please help me !!

I bought I microphone for my son's PC, plugged it in ….and guess what it doesn’t work !

Tried it on my daughter's PC and it worked, so I know the Mic is alright.

The difference between the 2-PC's is that my son's has an “on board” sound card…..do I need to go into the BIOS to allow the external Mic to work, if so how do i do this ?

Thanks

Andy

Moderators note( by John) Second unecessary posting removed Please do not double post messages.
N/A

Microphone Setup

I have already done this, the mic is selceted !
Community Veteran

Microphone Setup

You shouldn't normally need to go ito the bios to enable a the mic.
This is all normally done by the software that installs the sound card.
I assume that you are in the correct socket for the mic. (sorry but worth a check)
and although you say mic is selected is the volome slider turned fully up or is the mute option selected?
N/A

Microphone Setup

Some sounds card have multi-purpose sockets.

If the sound card is working (IE, you hear sound), then this sounds exactly what it may be.

You need to have the software that came with the motherboard (for the sound) installed.

This usualy has the option to dictate what type each socket is.

My own is the same, I can ahve 5.1 mode on, which requires 3 sockets to function. The software turns it into standard 2.0 sounds, so the line-in and mic sockets function properly.

Some boards may not have software, but a jumper on the motherboard, that dictates the mode the sockets or soundcard are in.

Console the motherboard manaual for this.
N/A

Microphone Setup

Hello John,

Yes, i have checked all of this.

Hello Acarr,

Thanks for the response, i am slightly confused by your reply as i am no PC expert.
I have no software for the motherboard, do i just need to alter some settings in the bios ?

My own is the same, I can ahve 5.1 mode on, which requires 3 sockets to function. The software turns it into standard 2.0 sounds, so the line-in and mic sockets function properly.

What does this mean ?Huh
N/A

Microphone Setup

Sounds cards come with a veriety of features, one being 5.1 suround sounds.

This means 2 rear speakers, 2 front speakers, a center speaker and a base or sub-woofer unit.

Many modern motherboards come with this feature.

For it to function, it needs more than a single socket goign to the speakers, so each socket has stereo audio and positional audio (when you hear a voice, at it seriously sounds like it is coming from behind).

You may not have any software on the computer for this, but that may be down to there not being any, or you hasn't installed it.

Otherwise, the settign will be in the BIOS, or as a jumper on thye motherboard.

We can't tell you which, as each and every make and model is different, as is the BIOS settings.

Can you provide the make and model of the motherboard, and I will try and assist more.
N/A

Microphone Setup

Hello Phillip,

It is an Intel Celeron 734mhz, not sure what the motherboard is, other than it has onboard sound and graphics.

Thanks for your help.

Andy
Community Veteran

Microphone Setup

I have no software for the motherboard, do i just need to alter some settings in the bios ?

Normally this type of PC comes with a CD that contains all your drivers and setup files for the sound and video systems on the board. Do you have that CD?
Have a look in the bios. Often pessing the delete key before it starts booting up windows is the way in but it normally says press "Huh? key" to enter setup so look for that during booting.
Once in the bios look for something like periferal equip or similar and see if it mentions the mic input.
Don't change anything else though unless you know just what the effects will be.
N/A

Microphone Setup

speaking from an (ex) newbie POV, are you sure you re plugging it in the right socket?
wghen i first got my mic, i had 3 sockets the jack could have gone in, and i plugged it in one thinkiing it would work, oh how wrong was i, after phoning a support company (and a few laughs later) i had sorted it, problem was i had plugged it into the blue socket ( still not sure what it does but its not for the mic) after the phone call i pluged it into the red socket ( which funnily enough had a picture of a mic next to it [silly me] ) and BANG it was working Smiley

so check where you are plugging it in if you havn't already Smiley

marc
Community Veteran

Microphone Setup

Yes... green is for speaker output (in some cases number one), and red/orange is for the mic. I think blue might be for line in.

Thomas
N/A

Microphone Setup

Yes i have done all of this......and double checked it.

There are 3 outputs

1. External speakers - currently being used by speakers
2. Line in - coded blue, currently a cable is plugged in and looping back within the PC casing, not sure where it goes though as i have not had time to remove the casing yet.
3. Mic - coded pink.

As i mentioned earlier i have plugged the mic into my daughters PC and it worked, so i am pretty sure it is to do with the "on board" sound set-up.

Thanks for your comments so far............................
N/A

Microphone Setup

There is one further possibilty I have thought of.

Some motherboards provide on-board Mic boosts, and the ability to handle pre-amplified mics.

When using a normal mic, but the motherboard is in pre-amp mode, it will sounds very very quite, or not function as you discribe.

Again, this is usualy a software setup (possibly in the driver configuration section, not the bios) or a jumper on the motherboard.

Again, we would need to know the exact motherboard make and model, CPU speed is usualy irrelivant.
N/A

Microphone Setup

Hello Philip,

The motherboard is:

MX3W PRO 00805 48.88109.015

Award 1998
PCI / PNP 686

Thanks
N/A

Microphone Setup

Below is the motherboard details:

AOpen MX3W E2Motherboard

CPU Intel Pentium III, Celeron, VIA C3 CPU Board and cables only
Socket 370
133MHz
Chipset Intel 810E
Intel ICH
Super I/O Winbond
Clock Gen. Cypress
Max Overclocking : 155Mhz

Main Memory Support PC133 SDRAM
SDRAM DIMM x 2
DIMM Type : 8/16/32/64/128/256MB
Max Memory : 512MB

Graphics Integrated VGA Engine in chipset (with 4MB Display Cache)
IDE Integrated ATA66 Controller
Max Disk : 137GB [28 bits ATA Spec.]
Sound Analog Devices AC'97 CODEC on-board
USB USB1.1 x 2
Slots PCI x 3
AMR x 1

Storage & Back Panel I/O Floppy Drive Connector x 1
IDE Channel : ATA66 x 2
PS/2 Keyboard x 1
PS/2 Mouse x 1
USB Port x 2
VGA Port x 1