cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-soft XP

N/A

Micro-soft XP

Please could somebody help me? it looks like I have been given a copy of xp which will not not yet me run updates have been passed a reg key by one of my friends but is this possible to do or do I need to re-build my pc?
21 REPLIES
N/A

Micro-soft XP

To update XP you have to have a legitimate and licenced copy of XP on your PC. They now employ a validation tool. If your version came with the PC I have noticed that with some PC the validation tools fails to recognise a genuine copy of XP. If you contact Microsoft they will help you out.
If its a pirate copy well...............
Also the reg key given by a friend may not match the version you have on your pc
N/A

Micro-soft XP

Firstly its "Microsoft", and you need to go and BUY a copy of XP, stop stealing.
N/A

Micro-soft XP

To say he is stealing is slander he said he was given a copy.

We dont know all the details so be careful of what you say and assume
N/A

Micro-soft XP

being given a copy of the software is the same, if he does not him self own the license (as in that little sticker / bit of paper) he should not be using it. If it was a pressent then he would have the license etc he would not be saying he was given it like he was. Thus stealing.

Do me for slander lol I would love it. surly its lible though..as its writen?
Community Veteran

Micro-soft XP

Come on guys, let's just leave it like this until the OP returns for more help or discussion of his issue.

Chris
N/A

Micro-soft XP

Possesion is 9/10ths of the law, a gift is a gift..etc etc Win xp pro oem is £87 Which is a small price to pay for the help and support you will get, microsoft will sell you a new key but there is a certain amount of risk involved..... they may report you fer piracy when you contact them...
N/A

Micro-soft XP

you could always use google and search for.. oh I dont know "bypass windows genuine advantage checker" and see what that turns up *shrug* just an idea of course.
N/A

Micro-soft XP

Well i purchased an allegedly downloadable iso of xp pro. WGA recognised it as invalid as I was given a Volume License apparently. I thought no way was i being ripped off, so i removed WGA and turned updates off. It is dispicable as i told microsoft where i got it from they did not seem to give a damn!!!!!

Ah well I have superb firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware software, so I do not care and ie? Hmm who needs it and windows defender is a JOKE!
N/A

Micro-soft XP

MS have had to withdraw the wga as it was a beta anyway. There was a link on their site how to get rid of it. They had so many complaints about sending out a beta as a critical update.

Its like everyhing else the crack for it was out within hours and often people with genuine copies have to resort to using cracks as MS mess up
N/A

Micro-soft XP

The reason i purchased it was i was as guilty as anyone with a pirate copy - so I thought enough was enough!

And then microsoft ignore the info i sent them so firefox it is all the way!!! Oh yes and opera. Windows Defender is not even 1% of adaware or spybot! It never finds anything!!!!!
N/A

Micro-soft XP

just to say, it doenst really matter if you have a good AV when it comes to exploits, for firewalls, there are about 100 ways to bypass them.
N/A

Micro-soft XP

Yes but most of the exploits involve internet explorer. Plus if you run ewido as well, it does a fine job!
N/A

Micro-soft XP

*nods sarcasticaly* sure... seeing as the last 4 exploits released for windows were in office products (Not IE) your wrong. The largest TWO worms of all time (slammer and blaster) were not linked to IE at all. Updates ARE important, and you are really quite idiotic to think that they are not needed.

AV's fail to pick up root kits, software firewalls can be bypassed in a matter of seconds, and the only thing stopping you from being exploited is the fact the whole is no longer there, if you fancy yourself as an uber geek and want to do some low level ASM/C++ coding to patch the holes your self, go ahead, but if not.. get the UPDATES! it is people like you that keep the previlarance of worms high on the interent. I would not be surprised if you have slammer, blaster,backdoors or rootkits on your PC.
N/A

Micro-soft XP

I use openoffice mate!!!

Do not try to put yourself on such a high horse!!!

Plus I am not getting ripped off by ANYBODY whoever it is!!!

You are wrong - go and try to attack my pc then! Most of these advertised vulnerabilities are never utilised - they are usually found by linux diehards that point them out and the chance of attack is negligible. as I said try attacking my pc - you are welcome to it! you will get nowhere though!

Do you think I am a fool and leave open ports as if the are open for warfare?

This is not about what you are embellishing as necessary it is not. As soon as a linux distro recognises my wireless adaptor as native windows can kiss goodbye anyway. I need netop for work but it works with linux anyway so job done. I am not frightened of linux anyway - it is far more secure by nature - hail the open source movement!!!