cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mice optical advice

N/A

Mice optical advice

Soon to be purchasig myself an optical mouse but what is the average or best dpi should i be looking at?
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mice optical advice

Most are 800dpi now, even the cheapies. But if getting a USB mouse make sure you have the updated USB drivers for your motherboard if it has USB 2.0 sockets as that helps with gaming cross hair latency.

Personally using a Logitech MX500 which I like, but has 2 issues. 1/ it's not for lefties, 2/ the plastic feet wear out quickly on cheap mouse mats, so invest in a decent mat as well.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Mice optical advice

In case you're interested, someone I know wrote a review of the Logitech MX500/700 at my site here.

Thomas
N/A

Mice optical advice

Thanks, I'll have a look after lunch, eggs n bacon today yummy
Community Veteran

Mice optical advice

I bought one of these the other day and it's great: http://www.savastore.com/products/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Savastore&product%5Fid=10273667&pid=1

It's a microsoft wireless optical wheelmouse with tilt (you can scoll up and down and side to side). You can use it as a ps2 or USB connected mouse. £28.00 from watford electronics or another price from your local computer superstore.
Community Veteran

Mice optical advice

(No offence, Peter) I would personally steer clear of Microsoft input hardware... I've had one of their Wireless Optical Desktop or whatever they call it (cost me £80 at the time) and small, but annoying things are beginning to happen on it, like a scroll wheel on the mouse that preferes going down to up. :? The quality doesn't seem to match that of Logitech products.

Still, who knows, they may have improved since they released my set...

Thomas
N/A

800 dpi

had a chat with someone and they said about 800 dpi so i'm going for either microsoft or logitech, let you know what i've decided.
csogilvie
Grafter

Mice optical advice

I use (and have done for a while) Logitech for both my Mouse and Keyboard, and I would recommend them Smiley
N/A

Mice optical advice

Dont listen to anyone who recommends an expensive mouse or keyboard. These devices are particularly susceptable to red wine/coffee spills.
N/A

Logitech Cordless Click Optical Mouse

Going for this mouse as I'm cack handed lol

Logitech Cordless Click Optical Mouse Limited Edition

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=3,contentid=7225,detail=2
N/A

Mice optical advice

Can optical mice be too responsive?

The problem I have is that I only have to touch the desk and my cursor tears off to some other place in the document.

This means that the typed input gets placed in the wrong place and can be very annoying if not immediately noticed.
N/A

Mice optical advice

Generalizer, I see that that you have gone for cordless as well as optical, my cordless mouse eats batteries on a alarming scale, next time I get one it will have a charging docking station.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mice optical advice

Thats more of the wrong mouse for the job, do you really need a multi button / high DPI mouse to use Word? Most cheapies would be better but having a decent optical mouse for gaming helps a lot.

I have 2 pc's one for gaming and one for work ie using Word / Excel or any apps that can be system hogs. My work pc has a old Genius USB Optical which for a cheapie does have a high DPI of 400 but its not over sensitive for the job, but use my MX500 on the gaming pc where its needed.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Logitech

The Logitech will be ok for me as I am left handed and I have rechargable batteries so I am happy with that one, it should be here by Wednesday , post depending.

Thanks for all your comments.
Community Veteran

Mice optical advice

The problem I have is that I only have to touch the desk and my cursor tears off to some other place in the document.

This means that the typed input gets placed in the wrong place and can be very annoying if not immediately noticed.

Just change your mouse sensitivity settings in the Windows Control Panel (assuming you use WIndows of course!)

Thomas