Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messaging on a LAN

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Messaging on a LAN

Can anyone suggest a simple way of passing messages between clients on a home LAN. I have a simple LAN in the house using a router with network cards, and two PCS running Windows 98. Broadband is not available here, so to connect to PlusNet , I use Home Highway with a BT USB digital access box on one pc and a terminal adapter on the second pc. It all works brilliantly as of course Home Highway supports two digital lines.

However, there is a risk that both pcs inadvertently are connected to PlusNet at the same time, which of course contravenes the Connect Lite rules. The family therefore has to resort to shouting from one end of the house to the other "Is it OK to connect to the internet ?" Not a sophisticated technical solution, but I suppose it works - until it doesn't !

Ideally, I would like to have a simple pop-up message or other messaging service that could be used to communicate from one pc to the other to ask if it is ok to connect to the internet , and then to notify when the connection has been closed.

Does anyone have a simple solution ?

:?
11 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

Messaging on a LAN

START >>> RUN and type "cmd"

type "net send <name or IP of machine to send message> <message>"

You can use "*" instead of a computer name or IP address to send to everyone. This is called broadcasting.

Its not recommended you broadcast at work or like we did at College a few weeks back. Our message went to just over 1000 people logged into the network and lets just say they weren't to impressed by my mates slightly offensive message.. including the principal :shock:

Still it was funny and immortalised us in our Colleges history Cool
N/A

Messaging on a LAN

I guess you could also write a batch file (.bat) with the instructions and message, (1 one with "online" and 1 with "offline") and create shortcuts to these.
shermans
Rising Star

Messaging on a LAN

Thanks. This sounds just what I wanted, but ............. (there is always a but !)

I cannot make it work !! I am feeble minded but I have tried every trick in the book, so back to basics.

1. If I enter "cmd" under Start>Run, I get the message "cannot find cmd etc". So I presume that "cmd" is short for "command" to take me to DOS.
2. Assuming that 1 above is corret, I have tried entering "net send <*> <test>"
but I just get "file not found".
3. I have tried "net send <169.254.1.2> <test>" but still no luck
4. I have tried using the computer name, but no go."net send \\laptop <test>
5. I have tried all the above both with and without the more than / less than symbols <>

I am obviously doing something stupid. Can you help again please?
csogilvie
Grafter

Messaging on a LAN

I don't think Windows 98 has "net send" you need to use something called winpopup (I think) from the Windows Directory (it has a jack in the box logo on it)
Community Veteran

Messaging on a LAN

Use winpopup.exe

This is a windows app that allows you to send messages to other users on the network. It must be running all the time to receive messages though.

When you run it select messages->options and tick popup dialog on message receipt.
Firejack
Grafter

Messaging on a LAN

1. If I enter "cmd" under Start>Run, I get the message "cannot find cmd etc". So I presume that "cmd" is short for "command" to take me to DOS.
Yup
2. Assuming that 1 above is corret, I have tried entering "net send <*> <test>"
but I just get "file not found".
You don't need to enclose the message with < or > . E.g,
net send MyComputer hello
will work
5. I have tried all the above both with and without the more than / less than symbols <>
Hmmm ok so you've already tried that :roll:
I guess it could be the case that net send wasn't in Win98 Sad
shermans
Rising Star

Messaging on a LAN

I guess it could be the case that net send wasn't in Win98

Thanks, but I think that is the answer. I have checked net help in dos, and lots of other arguments are included like net view, net use, net start, net stop but there is no net send.

However, the winpopup.exe does admirably and solves the problem for me.

Many thanks to all of you for your help. Smiley
N/A

Messaging on a LAN

have installed Realpopup on our machines which does exactly what you are asking for - can't remember where I got it from but doubtless a trawl of google would find it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Messaging on a LAN

3. I have tried "net send <169.254.1.2> <test>" but still no luck

you also have something wrong with your lan DCHP. As any lan IP starting with 169.254 is the default IP range when DCHP fails to work, at a guess your using ICS or the DCHP machine has XP on it.

1. XP - From my routers support forum its been found that XP machines aren't happy with DCHP, its best if using a manually assigned IP for that machine.

2 ICS - I had that problem after changing lan cards in 98se and ICS failed to work with the second lan card even though the first was fully uninstalled if using DCHP only fix was a reinstall of windows as it claimed that the IP ICS required was in use already ie 192.168.0.1
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Messaging on a LAN

also in xp and w2k if the 'messenger' service is disabled in the administrator > services panel then net send does not work
N/A

NT Hail

use NT Hail

do a search for it in google