cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh or Evesham

N/A

Mesh or Evesham

I have dealt with both Evasham and Mesh machine and would personaly take an Eversham machine over Mesh any day.

At one stage, the office I worked in used nothing but Mesh. We used to have issues with overheating, rattling components and case (anoying vibration heard from 100 foot away through walls) and worst of all, a short shelf life with regards to upgrade (my employer never once skimped out on cost for upto date systems, with upgrades in mind).

I finaly got my wish, after doing bodge jobs on some systems as often as twice a week, to totaly replace the kit and get a server.

We purchased from Eversham, having used them for a system at my employers house & also having one at home too. Delivery was quick (although the courier didn't phone us, like he was instructed to. Not evershams fault) and the systems worked flawlessly out of the box.

A couple of months in, we had an issue with the PSU on the server machine (our setup warrented nothing more than a desktop, pretending to be a server). It was a rather odd one, because one moment it worked, the next it didn't. PSU tests reported zero issue at all times.

The egineer was out the next day (standard warentee) to say he could see no issue. I reported my suspecions and he said he agreed with the assesment. Unfortunatly, Eversham engineers are dispatched parts on demand, with the exception of PSUs, with they have to beg for in bulk.

He couldn't replace it on the spot and said the best he could do was write up he agreed with the assesment and that I call the next day for a new callout, just so a PSU could be dispatched seperatly.

I was informed on the phone, such components are carried by the engineers, so he couldn't get a dispatch authorised. I asked them to read back the notes, which stated not PSU was on the van, then he even placed me on hold whilst he called the engineer (verified this with the engineer, so it wasn't a time wasting measure).

At this point, he assured me a PSU was on order and an engineer dispatched. Next day, same problem. No PSU on the van and no displatch. Even phoned the depo to make sure that the dispatch wasn't just delayed.

It's then suggested that a RMA takes place, which should clear any need for dispatch or begging for PSUs. They promptly pickup the unit the same day and we have it back on the 5 days later.

No Fault Found.

Sure enough, within 48 hours, same problems. Phone up and they agree something must be wrong if we are calling so much. This time they dispatch a PSU via courier to us and also book one to the engineer. This time it works.

All that cufaffle for a PSU and mostly down to internal procedures that could easily have been cured.

In total, we where back and running in 15 days, which is damned quick, considering the amount of backwards and forwards motion.

On my home system, I too had an issue with the DVD drive not playing. However, it did work at dispatch. Using the buesiness support number, I had an engineer booked to me in less that 20 mins Cheesy

Only, I found out the next day in work, that the DVD drive in question had a known bug in the firmware. A simple firmware update fixed the problem. Bit of a waste of engineers time I would say.

I can't comment on Mesh support. I joined the business 1 month before the warentees expired. So I wasn't aware exactly what sort of problems they where having until the had expired.

Out of the Mesh and Eversham machines though. I would go with Eversham, if only for the build quality.
34 REPLIES
home99
Grafter

Mesh or Evesham

Hi folks,

Looking to puchase a new desktop in the coming months and as usual doing lots of research into the subject.

Having shyed away from the self build option I am currently looking at Mesh or Evesham. I would appreciate any views you have on either company, or indeed any other company you deem worthy of my hard earned pennies.

Cheers

Dave
N/A

Mesh or Evesham

I prefer Mesh if I had to make a choice. Evesham aren't as good as they used to be.
What kind of setup are you going for? any idea's on spec?
home99
Grafter

Mesh or Evesham

I sense trepidation in your reply gadgetboy - u dont seem keen on either!

I want to stay away from the normal high street vendors (obviously) hoping I will get more money for my cash via the internet.

To be honest I want as much as about £1100 can buy. I use my PC for the usual, internet, word, video editing, dig photos and more importantly online gaming. Future proofing is key.

I also wish to set up a wireless network with my current PC (gulp!).

Prioirties are processer (poss 3500-3800 AMD),graphics card being PCI express (not sure of type, best my money can buy) and decent TFT monitor.

I am assuming i will get 200 - 250 gb HDD (god knows what I will fill it with), 1 Mb DDR 400 RAM, and all the usual that comes with it.
N/A

Mesh or Evesham

It's not that to be honest, but these days many of the computers you can buy, are much the same.

If you want something good for your money and not fussy about make, buy a dell. They do crazy offers on their website. Even ...dare I say it...PC World....sometimes have good offers.

Mesh are still good, and I would choose them over Evesham.
home99
Grafter

Mesh or Evesham

Hmm, it surpises me that you mention PC world, but i will keep an eye out.

I am aware Dell can produce the goods but I assumed they were slightly more expensive and veered to the business side of things. But once again i will check it out.

TVM

Dave
Community Veteran

Mesh or Evesham

Watch out for delivery charges, which can add £50 to the headline price of your chosen PC.

Also check delivery times, a friend ordered a MESH but had to wait 3 weeks for delivery!

Chilly

PS Dell is also worth checking out, but watchout as they headline one price then add expensive support options, which you have to opt out of to get the headline price.
Alecto
Grafter

Mesh or Evesham

I've got an Evesham computer, which is getting on for 4 years old now.

I decided against Mesh because they had an awful reputation for service, though their computers were highly rated, and I wanted to have no worries if it went wrong.

The Evesham one did go wrong. It was delivered with a DVD drive not working.
Getting an engineer out was slow - typically three days, worst case seven days - and I had to hang on a national rate number for up to 45 minutes to report it and arrange an engineer visit.

Since then, the PSU has gone and been replaced, the modem, motherboard, graphics card likewise, and then I got repeated blue screens of death which they couldn't solve, but my internet searches revealed due to a hardware incompatibility. They got tired of sending engineeers, and even though I had on-site cover, they insisted on my sending it back.

When they got it back, they ran diagnostics, found nothing, and returned it to carry on failing.
They did this twice.
Then I got an engineer out again and made him replace the processor - I had an old Duron one which was obviously incompatible with something - for an Athlon 2200 (I think), and it's been fine ever since.

The engineers when they came were very nice and, apart from the last one, helpful, but the wait for a visit was irksome, and even an email to the MD didn't speed it up.

I wouldn't get an Evesham one again, mainly because of the hanging on the phone to report faults, and the time it takes an engineer to come.
Other than that, the computer's fine now - though there's only the keyboard and monitor left from the original configuration.

Have you thought about Dell? I'm torn between them and building one myself later this year to replace this one.
They have a good reputation as far as I can tell, I have a couple of friends who are pleased with them, and they also do next day breakdown visits.

Let us know what you decide.
Treborvfr
Grafter

Mesh or Evesham

In the past I have always built my own, but 18 months ago i decided to purchase a ready built PC. Like you I narrowed down my choice to Evesham and Mesh, I chose Mesh and have been very happy with my choice.

I have also found their support desk to be good. I've not had any major problems, the DVI port started playing up on the Viewsonic LCD screen after about 3 months. Mesh had a tech (most of the service personnel are technicians, not engineers Wink ) on site within 24 hours, it turned out the monitor was faulty and Viewsonic replaced it by the following day. Electronic items, if they are going to fail, normally do so in the first few weeks, once past this 'infant mortality' stage they normally last for years.

I wanted a joystick port (one isn't normally supplied with the PC I bought although there is a plug on the motherboard) they sent one by return of post for me to install.

I also wanted the support disk that ASUS normally supply with motherboards, again these are not normally supplied with new PC's (they probably don't want people who think they know what they're doing possibly screwing the system up). Again, they sent the disk by return of post.

Good luck

Bob
home99
Grafter

Mesh or Evesham

Just checked the Dell site and tried an (almost) equivalent set up to that of Mesh and Evesham - they were far more expensive! I am talking hundreds here.

Certainly your Evesham story has planted a seed of doubt in my mind gpattison, however i do realise this is only one example.

Reading various glossy mag articles certainly champions Mesh and your story bob just adds weight to my gut instinct. However I dont like making decisions based on my wind problems.

Oh dear decisions decisions..............
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Mesh or Evesham

Had an Evesham for 5 years, great PC. Just updated & bought a Dell. Great prices compared to similar spec from current Eveshams so chose the Dell. Watch out though as Dell offers change almost daily. I watched and waited for about 6 weeks and ended up with £50 discount, free delivery & double memory, great i thought until 2 days later it was a further £80 cheaper & with a free printer! Sad
Denzil
Grafter

Mesh or Evesham

This will probably just add to the confusion but my experience with PCs at work is that Mesh and Evesham will perform just as well, but Evesham offer much better support if something goes wrong. A technician is with us quickly and fixes it, no argument. A Mesh PC that we supplied to one of our customers went wrong, they refused to fix on site, took a week to fix it when they promised 24 hours and were generally unhelpful.
home99
Grafter

Mesh or Evesham

This will probably just add to the confusion

Now you've done it :?
Community Veteran

Mesh or Evesham

great i thought until 2 days later it was a further £80 cheaper & with a free printer! Sad

I think that I would pay the extra just NOT to have the Dell printer, or should I say Lexmark by another brand. And more mark up on the ink tanks.

Chilly
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Mesh or Evesham

i agree about the printer but £80 is £80, especially as i hadnt even received the pc at that point, i guess thats life......... Wink