cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

Community Veteran

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

OK, try setting a static IP instead of the router supplying it.

Set your lan card to 10.0.0.3 (as I described above but specify an IP) and reboot. See if that works, you should not need to do this but try anyway.

Suggestion made here: http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6902
11 REPLIES
TOTKO
Grafter

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

In a separate message a friend of mine discussed the problems he was having with USB 2 and DSL modems. He was advised what to buy - and he did!

We still can't get the router to work.

I started with a clean 98 install (all that's available on my laptop and installed a NIC connected this to the router and ... nothing.

I hope someone can tell me the very basics of how I connect first to the router through the ethernet and then onto PlusNet.

Please....

Masny thanks
Community Veteran

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

I have not heard of that router, can you give the full make/model of it?

Does it include an ADSL modem?

Did you read the instruction in the manual included with the router? This will explain how tp connect it up and configure it with your login/password to connect to PlusNets ADSL service.
TOTKO
Grafter

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes it includes a ADSL modem, four ethernet ports and a USB port. The model is MR4C/UK

I did read the manual(s). The first tells you the connections to make the second starts " 1. Launch the web browser. 2. Enter the LAN port default IP address http://10.0.0.2. .....

But the address can't be found
Community Veteran

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

Have you configured your lan card to get it's IP address automatically? The router should then supply this info and assign an IP address to your PC via DHCP. Without this you cannot communicate with the router to configure it.

Start -> settings -> contol panel, then click on network icon.

highlight your lan card i.e. TCP/IP -> Linksys etc and click properties

Make sure obtain IP addres automatically it selected and click OK

You will probably need to reboot. Make sure your lan card is connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports using an Ethernet cable and reboot.

The manual should explain how to do this if it is any good.
TOTKO
Grafter

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

Yep. Did that. Still get "IE cannot open the Internet site http://10.0.0.2/. A connection with the server could not be established'

Manual doesn't tell you much of the up front requirements!
TOTKO
Grafter

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

Sorry Peter,

I already found that forum. I had already tried that suggestion too.

I suppose the router could be broken - but all the lights comew on as I'd expect!
Community Veteran

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

Are you sure your lan card is installed properly with the correct drivers. Try uninstalling, removing, rebooting, and refitting the lan card and see if it makes a difference.

Also are you using the correct ethernet cable. There are 2 types: straight and x-over. While most switches can auto-detect this maybe yours can't. Do you have all the correct lights on your lan card and on the router for the port you plug into. Is there another cable you can try? or try another port on the router.
TOTKO
Grafter

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

Peter,

Thanks for your patience.

I have both a crossover and two straight through cables - I've tried all three and I'ver tried all four ports. The X-O nad one of the S-T cables have been used regularly - so I know they work

I'll bring another NIC home tomorrow and try that!
N/A

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

Hi Guys, I have the same router and had the same problem, tried it on a friends computer and it worked fine. I've given up with it for now and got myself a D-Link DSL300G+ which connects to the net just fine but I can not change any of its internal settings, so I believe that the problem must be with my set up but a IT engineer from work had a quick look for me and could not find a problem.
Good luck with your problem, you just might solve mine to....
TOTKO
Grafter

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

Thanks for the information.

I'm also getting one of my company's IT guys to take a look - on his own machine!

So far I've tried it on

My home desktopPC
A (old) Sony Vaio laptop
A Mac Powerbook
Compaq laptop (forget the model)

It don't work on any!!!!

Cry
N/A

Mentor ADSL Router Modem

As far as I can tell the support from Mentor is hard to find at best, with my second modem D-link have tried to be helpful but all they want to do is blame my firewall, anti virus or my stupidity. The only people I've not tried are those that I bought the pc from but I don't think it's a hardware problem.