cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory

RobDickson
Grafter

Memory

My parents' PC has been running quite slowly recently, so I decided to upgrade the memory from 128MB to 256MB (it's running XP).

I therefore bought a 128MB stick (I hope that's the correct term), and stuck it into the spare slot. Windows only recognised a total of 192MB (i.e. only half the extra stick had been recognised). I took the stick back to Maplin, and the bloke there assured me that it was the correct type, so he swapped it with another stick, just in case the first one was faulty.

I went back to my parents' house last night, to try to get the extra memory working. The existing 128MB stick works fine in both RAM slots, so it's not a problem with the slots. I tried with both sticks, and still got only 192MB. I tried with only the new RAM stick, and the PC only had 64MB.

Apart from another faulty stick (unlikely) and using the wrong type of memory stick (both are P133 sticks) can anybody think of any other solutions?
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Memory

You could take the working memory with you to Maplins and get them to ensure its the correct type by comparing etc..
There should be no issues just plugging the correct type in an you should see it all.
RobDickson
Grafter

Memory

Unfortunately, I can't do that, because it would mean that my parents can't use their PC while I'm doing that, and I only visit them about once a month.

I have written down everything that's on the existing memory stick, so I hope that I'll be able to sort something out.

I've tried using Crucial's memory advice pages, but I don't know exactly what type of PC my parents have. I'll try to get my mother to run the automatic checker.
N/A

Memory

how olds the mobo, as it may only be able to see up to 192
Rich
Grafter

Memory

Could be that the PC doesn't recognise Double-Sided sticks - esp. if it's an older one. You probably need to source a Single Sided stick.

Regards
Richard.
N/A

Memory

Is the computer using any memory for onboard video?
RobDickson
Grafter

Memory

Thanks for the suggestion.

The graphics card might be using a MB or two, but wouldn't the difference show when I checked the memory of the original PC (reported as 128MB) as well as with the extra memory (192MB with an extra 128MB stick)?
the_norris
Grafter

Memory

I think its what Richard (ryton) said - is your current 128mb stick got chips on both sides? I guess there will be on one side only.

What Spec is the PC - what may help more. Also make/model or it is a self build.

Phil
N/A

Memory

The laptop i am using is ment to have 512ddr but when you go to system is says 448 ram.
Community Veteran

Memory

The missing 64MB will be for the graphics controller memory. Many laptops use some of the main memory for graphics memory. It saves the expense (and realestate) of having additional memory chips on the motherboad for graphics.

The manual should explain this.
N/A

Memory

Yeah i guess it was that peter as when i went to bios and changed it from 32 to 64 then some times 128 the ram number would alter.
RobDickson
Grafter

Memory

The existing memory stick and the new memory stick are both single-sided, so I doubt that that's causing the problem. The PC's a Packard Bell PC (sorry, I don't know what type), and is only about two years old. I'd be surprised if the mother board can only recognise 192MB, but that's always a possibility.

I think I'll have to have another look at the PC myself, and try running Crucial's memory checker, which will tell me what type of memory I need.
N/A

Memory

If problems persist, find out the motherboard model and try updating the BIOS by downloading an update and tool from the manufacturers website.

This may help.

Will.
RobDickson
Grafter

Memory

Updating the BIOS always sounds scary to me, but if nothing else works, I'll have to give it a go.

Thanks everybody for the advice.
Community Veteran

Memory

Also some memory can be incompatible with mobos and chipsets, even though they look the same. It depends on how the memory is arranged i.e. 16 x 64 32 x 32 8 x 128 etc and some memory controllers will only work with some memory configurations or only detect part of the memory size.

In most cases the common memory formats will work but you can get some fussy mobos that won't.