cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory

zpeterk
Grafter

Memory

I've got a A7N8X2.0 ver 2 mobo with two 256 mb 2700 ram (with a XP2500 333 running at 400) which would be the best upgrade option, is it bin the two 256mb and put in two 1Gb of 3200 or add one 1Gb of "something" in the spare slot

Cheers
9 REPLIES
N/A

Memory

get two 1 gig sticks (of the same brand / type etc) and you will have less issues
zpeterk
Grafter

Memory

It does dual channel, does thet make much difference? do they need to be matched pairs?

Also will you see an improvement having 2.5 as to 3 memory timing?
N/A

Memory

if you get a matched pair, you will see less "issues" than if you just buy two seperate sticks. and no 2.5-3 you will see very little, if any difference. also with the spec of your pc, i dout you would see any diff at all
N/A

Memory

Its always better to get a matched pair but in most cases different branded sticks will run happily together.

I wouldnt worry about the CAS latency 2.5 - 3.0, some maufacturers are relaxed about their rating anyhow. If you realy needed CAS2.5 which you dont you could change it in the bios and the RAM would probably run fine.
N/A

Memory

Edit: Oops, should have read the post more carefully as you wanted to upgrade to 2GB... Anyway, this is what someone would do if they wanted to upgrade to 1GB...

I have the same board and CPU as you (except it is still clocked at 333). I previously had 2x 256MB sticks of RAM as you do now and did this upgrade by just buying one 512MB stick. Make sure it is the same speed RAM as you have now, and in general the memory should be as near as possible identical (although mine is from different manufacturers as paco2k5 also says).

There are three memory slots in total - 2 for one channel and 1 for the second. You'll need to move the three sticks around so the total RAM in each channel is the same.

If for some reason this doesn't work, buy another 512MB chip identical to the first, put that in the other channel and discard the 256MB chips.

However, RAM is now so cheap that you may want to discard your old PC2700 RAM and put all new PC3200 sticks in it - you wouldn't be able to mix the speeds and get dual channel, which provides additional benefits.
zpeterk
Grafter

Memory

got my 2gb in of 3200, what page file should I change to?

cheers
zpeterk
Grafter

Memory

Well windows wanted to have a page file of 3gb so it is.

It seems much smoother and quicker with the extra ram. I read somewhere you can turn the page file off, is this a good idea?
N/A

Memory

you dont *really* need it, but it can be of use, howeer 3gig is stupid, resize it down to like 1gig at most.
N/A

Memory

There are a few programs that will insist on a page file regardless of how much RAM you have. However, the Windows-managed settings were really designed for the amount of RAM that was expected in 2001 for Windows XP, ie 256 or 512MB. As buzzons says, resize it down to 1GB or less. You could try turning it off completely to see what happens, but if you get any unexpected errors then turn it back on.