cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory upgrade

willow147
Grafter

Memory upgrade

I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe m/b with an Athlon 3200 cpu in it. I have 2 stick of 512Mb Crucial PC3200 DDR memory in the board using the Dual channels.

As I am partial to my gaming (especially World of Warcraft) I thought maybe I'd upgrade the Ram to 2Gb. Could I just buy a 1Gb stick of Crucial Ram and stick it in the spare slot on the m/b or would that cause problems with the Dual Channel setup.

I'd rather not have to replace my current memory with 2 * 1Gb sticks as I'd have 2 * 512 sticks laying around doing nothing.

Thanks for any suggestions
6 REPLIES
N/A

Memory upgrade

Have a look at your motherboard manual: it'll have detailed instructions on what combinations of memory modules you can use simultaneously. If you can't find it, Asus will most likely have a downloadable copy on their support website.
Alecto
Grafter

Memory upgrade

If you run the Crucial Memory Checker from their site, it will tell you what will be compatible with your mobo and existing memory.
And they guarantee that to be the case or will refund you.

When I upgraded, I was still unsure, so I emailed their support team with my concern and they answered the same day.
And they were right.

I'd run the memory checker, then email Crucial to make sure.
N/A

Memory upgrade

if you only have 3 dimms for ram, you will loose the dual channal aspect if you have 3 dimms all in at once, however the bonus of having 2 gig over 1 gig will outway the fact that the 1gig *was* in dual chan mode.
N/A

Memory upgrade

I have an Asus A78NX non-deluxe model. Like yours it has three DIMM slots for RAM. Provided you have the same total RAM in the slots for each channel, and it is the same quality/speed, it should still work in dual channel.

So if slots 1 and 2 are one channel, and slot 3 is for the other channel (check this in the manual), put the two 1/2 GB DIMMs in slots 1 and 2, and your new 1GB DIMM in slot 3. This worked for me, it still says "dual channel" (or words to that effect) when the BIOS fires up (albeit with half this amount of RAM and using PC2700).

I would at least suggest you buy just one 1GB stick first (unless you find a really cracking deal on two together). Try it in the above configuration. The worst that will happen is that you will have 2GB of RAM but you will need to go and buy the second 1GB to make it dual channel.
willow147
Grafter

Memory upgrade

Thanks for all the valuable suggestions, I think that I will try getting the extra 1 Gb of Crucial and stick that in the third slot and see how it goes.

I may (or may not) end up having to get another 1Gb stick as well, but hey, e-bay is a wonderful thing (to sell my 2 spare 512Mb sticks)
N/A

Re: Memory upgrade

I'd rather not have to replace my current memory with 2 * 1Gb sticks as I'd have 2 * 512 sticks laying around doing nothing.

Get a 2 x 1GB matched pair and use in dual mode (best setup) and sell the 512MB sticks off on Ebay wherever, the 2Gb in dual mode will be more than your needs.