cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory help

N/A

Memory help

Hi I just bought 2 sticks of memory at 512, i already have 2 sticks of the same stuff. basically when its inserted it only reads as 1GB not 2GB.I have played around and all the sockets are working and so is all of the memory.just doe's not seem to work together :twisted: .

any help will be great thanks Cool

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Moved to Computers and Hardware forum for better response.]
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Memory help

You don't say which mobo! I would suggest you read your manual that came with mobo. If you don't have one, check on the manufacturers website.
N/A

Memory help

I checked my mobo manual. it says it supports upto 3GB and the memory is compatable with it.when i checked the website for it (gigabyte) i found this FAQ which was the closest thing to my problem on there.

Q:When I install max. system memory motherboard chipset can support, but why can't motherboard BIOS report proper memory size?

A:Based on PC system architecture, the BIOS, H/W resource (such as ACPI, onboard I/O and so on), PCI or AGP VGA cards need motherboard to address. Thus, when you install max. system memory the motherboard supports, system memory address will overlap system H/W resource and MB BIOS may report lower amount of available memory.

ive tried some games which like lots of memory Doom 3, far cry and a couple of others,which all show some signs of improvement even though thay ran very well anyway.

its definatly a mobo thing because i have tried all of the memory in another computer which has a gigabyte mobo as well,and has the same problem.

thanks again for any help Cool
N/A

Memory help

Its the bios if its reading it wrong. You need to update the bios via download. I have 2 512 sticks and it was reading them as 256 each. I updated bios and bamm 1gig
N/A

Memory help

1) have u tried the new sticks on their own
2) have you made sure its not running in DDR mode or something nocking out 2 of the dimms
3) that error on the reading is related to when u put say 4gig into ur box, it reads as 3.8 gig (as with mine) it should not do this if you have not maxed out ur memory.
4) take out all ur dimms and try each one one by one in the 1st slot to make sure they work, then try 2 DIMM 1 DIMM3 and 2 in DIMM 2 and DIMM 4

Buz
Community Veteran

Memory help

Also are you sure you can fit 4 memory sticks at the same time. The colours on the memory slots sometimes show this. i.e. to get 3GB you have to fit 3 1GB memory sticks but you cant use 2 1GB & 2 512K sticks.

What is the full make/model number for your board so I can check?
holdtight
Grafter

Memory help

It will also make a difference if your using single or double sided modules

check what you have and refer back to your mobo manual it should state somewhere that although it will support upto 3GB there is a limit when using double sided memory modules

i know this shouldnt make a difference if your only trying to install 2GB and not the max of 3 but its worth checking all the same as this could be the issue
N/A

Memory help

ive tried them all 1 at a time there all working ok and tried them in different slots.in my manual theres a part about dual channel and for it to work with 4 slots it need DS/SS in Dimm1 DS/SS in Dimm2 SS for Dimm3 and 4 andno other combination.....i thought just having all DS would just mean the dual channel would not be enabled...I will update my bios see what happens

Gigabyte moterboard model number GA-7N400V Pro 2

max it takes is 3GB trying to use 4 sticks of 512 for 2Gb Sad
N/A

Memory help

I found the bios drivers for my board but when it try to install them it tells me my chipset is not supported and to make sure flash is not protected Evil

might just stick with 1.5GB of memory would be less hassle :roll: