cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory and Windows XP

Alecto
Grafter

Memory and Windows XP

I've just switched from Windows ME to XP, complete with SP2.

I've also added 1Gb of memory to my 256k, but even though the System recognised it and now quotes Installed 1.25Gb, XP hasn't asked me anything about it.

Do I need to change any settings to make sure XP uses it properly and takes advantage of it to speed things up?

I can't believe Bill Gates wouldn't just waste it if I let him.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Memory and Windows XP

Windows if it is saying you have 1.25Gb now knows you have it, and will use it all if needed, you have no need to tell it this.
N/A

Memory and Windows XP

might have to update the virtual memory if windows hasn't done it tho
control panel -> performance and maintance -> system -> Advanced Tab -> performance settings button -> advanced tab
virtual memory should be 1 and a half times your installed memory
N/A

Memory and Windows XP

no it shouldnt, there is no need for virtual memory if you have over a gig of ram any how
N/A

Memory and Windows XP

I have 2GB of RAM.

When I'm downloading headers from some newsgroups my page file can exceed 1.5GB.

Now tell me that I don't need virtual memory :!:
N/A

Memory and Windows XP

you dont, whats your ram usage? full 2gig used? or not?

I have 4 gig of ram in this box, and its only used when i do my gfx on it, however the page file is like 512meg just cos it is. its never used
N/A

Memory and Windows XP

no it shouldnt, there is no need for virtual memory if you have over a gig of ram any how

windows will use the virtual memory reguardless of how much memory you have and if its set to low can cause problems and slow downs.
Alecto
Grafter

Memory and Windows XP

I take it that's a No then? Tongue

I could have sworn I'd read somewhere that Windows earmarks a load of your memory for its personal use, and this figure needs changing.
Must have got it wrong.
N/A

Memory and Windows XP

tracer, i bet mine doenst cuase slow downs, but meh i guess you have a slower box than me *smile*, I dislike virtual memory in all cases as it just hammers the hard drives and is a relic from yesteryear.
N/A

Memory and Windows XP

you dont, whats your ram usage? full 2gig used? or not?

1.7GB out of 2GB used and as I said a page file of 1.5GB.

I dislike virtual memory in all cases as it just hammers the hard drives and is a relic from yesteryear.

I dislike it too, but as I don't have your 4GB setup, it's a necessary evil.

BTW have you checked in Task Manager that your 512MB page file isn't being used?