cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Upgrade query

Fixes: 133

Memory Upgrade query

Just built myself a new PC. The old one failed miserably after long use and only had 768MB RAM.

The new one has 1GB. I mainly use for Video Editing and have almost 1 TB of HDD space.

My question is this...

The same 1GB memory module is now just over £20. Would I really gain that much in speed or usability adding the extra GB?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Memory Upgrade query

What OS and version are you using?

Video editing can be very memory intensive as well as CPU intensive. Having more memory should speed up editing of larger videos as it can hold more of it in memory so disk reading/swapping should be reduced.

If you also run a lot of apps at the same time then more memory will definitely be of benefit.

Windows ALWAYS needs more memory so I would go for the upgrade.

Memory Upgrade query

Using XP Home.

I am often rendering more than one project at a time so I think you just confirmed what I was already thinking Smiley

Cheers

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

iainmacmillan
Grafter

Memory Upgrade query

XP will officially recognise up to 4Gb RAM (32bit edition), so if you can afford it, buy another 2 identical sticks and put them in.

In reality XP rarely sees more than 3Gb ram, though it can be forced, but can have some side effects. You will notice a big difference with 3Gb ram.

just remember under Control Panel, SYSTEM, ADVANCED, Performance, Advanced, Virtual Memory Usage -- remember to set the min to 1.5 x RAM and max to 3 x RAM, to make your swap/paging file match the memory running in your system, helps Windows a lot, and is often forgotten. XP may only allow a max of 4095 as the upper value, depending on your version of XP.
Denzil
Grafter

Memory Upgrade query

Check what your motherboard will handle as well. If your new build is an up to date spec then it should be OK for up to 4Gb, but it shouldn't be taken for granted.

Memory Upgrade query

I have an ASUSTek MB which can take up to 8GB RAM.

With 4 memory slots I would need 4x 2GB cards, but that is just overkill Smiley

I will add just the one extra GB for now.

Thanks all Smiley

danep
Grafter

Memory Upgrade query

Hi Denzil

With Windows 32Bit systems it is only worth putting in 3GB as windows needs the extra 1GB to address graphics card memory and system hardware resources. So if you had say 4GB installed windows would only see something like 3.2GB or slightly more sometimes.

If your motherboard supports Dual Channel memory then the best setup would be two 1GB sticks and two 512Mb sticks. In this way you would retain dual channel function whilst not wasting any memory that cant be used.

Regards
Dane