Did you mean: 

Media/Web Server combo?

henderson1977
Grafter

Media/Web Server combo?

Hi all

I am currently running 2 PCs:

1) A Web Server, hosting 3 websites running on Windows 2000 Server; and
2) A Media Server, storing movies/music/pictures/media running on Windows 2000 Pro.

I want to cut my electricity bill and minimise the amount of computer equipment in my life, so I want merge the 2 by creating a Media/Web Server in one.

Q1. Could I partition a hard disk with Windows MCE/Windows XP Pro (boot) and Windows 2000 Server to run without issues?
Q2. If so, would Terminal Services Client still connect to the Windows 2000 Server remotely even if logged onto the Windows XP Pro partition? Or would the Windows XP Pro installation prevent this from happening?
Q3. Would website visitors still be able to connect to the websites as normal? Despite being logged onto the Windows XP Pro partition? In other words, will the Web Server still work on a partition even when not logged into that partition?

Thanks in advance for any help.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Media/Web Server combo?

In short, no. You could just install IIS/Apache on XP though which would/should satisfy your webserver needs.

In order to connect to a server via RDP the server needs to be running though. Ditto the webserver.
henderson1977
Grafter

Media/Web Server combo?

Thanks for the reply chuffbears.

If I installed IIS on XP Pro, would I be compromising any security or performance if moving away from using IIS on Windows 2003 Server?

Are there limitations of using IIS on XP Pro instead of IIS on Windows 2003 Server? I expect there may be.

I need to run at least 3 websites, but this may be expanding to 5 or 6 in the near future. Can IIS on XP Pro handle this please?
N/A

Media/Web Server combo?

I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing, but I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to run 5 or 6 websites on an XP Pro machine with IIS (though myself I prefer Apache) and the same hardware as your current server.

If Win2k3 is an option I'd strongly recommend that - that can handle streaming media etc a lot better, and is designed from the ground up as a server, rather than XP, which was built as a workstation OS. Obviously there's a price difference that demonstrates this too.

Hope that helps!
N/A

Media/Web Server combo?

You could install Virtual PC and run XP and then on the virtual pc run the webserver. IIS will handle all the sites but if you are using broadband you havent got a lot of bandwidth.

You are not gaining very much by downing one of the servers 3 hours for about 5p