cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max RAM

N/A

Max RAM

lo people, i have a dilema, ive just bought an Asus P4C800 gold mobo, its max RAM is 4GB. the dilema is i already own some kingston KFJ-TX200/2G which is 2GB in one module, i have two of these (4GB in total, 2 modules), can you see my problem yet, i have already contacted Asus about this and after a week am still waiting for a reply, oh the problem is, will the board be able to take this RAM? The only info i could get from Asus is, 1GB sticks will work cos they've tested them, but they would get back to me about 2GB sticks........... WHEN!!!!! this is killing me not putting this board together, i could just put some ddr 400 but i would really like to know if anyone has any knowledge about this delicate matter :?:
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Max RAM

Have you actually tried them?

Try one stick and see it it is recognised. If the PC boots and recognises all the memory then run an extensive memory test using either memtest86 or memtest86+.
N/A

Max RAM

thanks for the quick reply Peter, no i hav'nt tried it, was afraid of doing damage if you think its safe i will build up the nerve to put it together tonight when my wee girl goes to bed, you do think its safe? its eigther going to be recognised or not........... yeah/no. kinda what i thought. cheers
Community Veteran

Max RAM

I assume you are running XP and not Win98SE as Win98 will have a problem with that amount of ram.
N/A

Max RAM

yeah, at the moment im running a MSI board P4 2.2 XP pro, but the new machine will be the P4C800, P4 2.8c Hyperthreading, XP pro
N/A

Max RAM

xp should see 4gig of ram (but will see 3.7 due to odd asus stuff Smiley)
why do u have 2 gig sticks :p 4 1gig sticks is cheeper
do u really need all that memory? i have 4 * 1gig in my asus pc dl deulux ruiing dual xeons and it doesnt even use 2 gig of it for labour intesive stuff such as graphics work in maya

Buz
N/A

Max RAM

http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4C800E-DX/e1347b_p4c800-e_deluxe.pdf

This says that you can use 1Gb mods per slot

I've got two of these boards with 2/512 dual channel and they are quick (none tec term)

If you have a prescott you must update the bios!
N/A

Max RAM

thanx for replies guys but i have the Asus mobo spec and install guides, i have read them and been in contact with Asus, they dont know and i dont know but someone with experience in RAM modules may have a better idea, peter suggestion makes sense but im not sure if any damage can be done if its not recognised, ive posted on other sites as well as ask luis so maybe i will just wait for now. :?:
the_norris
Grafter

Max RAM

How long have you been waiting for ASUS to reply?

I waitied for over two weeks then re-sumited the support request and got a relay a week later.

Not to impressed with ASUS support and there Motherboard. But to be fair to them it was my first ASUS board.

Phil