cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandrake / Suse linux Question

Community Veteran

I recnetly installed mandrake 10.1 as a dual oot with an existing win 98 install, however I have had trouble getting myADSL modem to work with it, I know there is a driver (not official) that should work right away for suse linux would I be able to take mandrake off and install suse whilst preserving win98 install? if so how easy would it be?
5 REPLIES
N/A

If you install SuSE into the same partitions which you already used for Mandrake then you should have no problem. The SuSE installer will detect the presence of a Windows installation and add it to the boot menu. You'll need to select the 'Custom partitioning' option during installation so as to tell it which partitions to use, but it's really not difficult. I suggest that you take a note of the Linux names for the used partitions from your Mandrake setup before starting.

Eric
Community Veteran

Thanks! Now to get suse on CD.
N/A

out of interest what type is your modem? If it's a USB one (particularly one of those nasty alcatel/thompson frog things) you're probably better off looking to invest in a decent ethernet modem or router. The hardware detection in SuSE, good though it is, will NOT cover all hardware! Try it out with the SuSE live CD to check - if it's not detected etc it prolly won't work with the install.
Community Veteran

Go for a router, its not worth the hair loss getting a USB modem to work.
Unless you are doing it for the challange :twisted:

Chilly
Community Veteran

I'm looking into getting a router but want the net working on linux in the meantime. The modem is a binatone ADSL 500 rev b