cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail servers, MX records and so on

N/A

At the moment I have my domain registered with JTN which does email forwarding to an external email company which fetchmail on my local server then picks up.

The external email company are causing me problems (they break email headers for a start) and they dont reply to technical support or customer service emails.

I have, for code testing purposes, another domain through dyndns which I've set an MX record up for.

If I tell JTN for forward email onto addresses at the dyndns domain they arrive on my server with no problems at all.

So what happens to email if my ADSL Line goes down.. will JTN as its an upstream PO keep trying for a few days and then give up or what?

Basically I'm wondering if I can get rid of the external email provider totally.

I've secured my mail server - tests run at abuse.net and ordb.org showed me to not be any sort of relay so I'm happy from that side of things.

Steve
12 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Steve.
Seeing as nobody in the know has replied I'll put in my 2pennies worth Cheesy
If the JTN mail server is set up in a sensible way it should keep trying for a week.
The domain you have set up is for testing purposes so you could turn off the MTA on it, send some mail and see how long JTN keeps trying for. ( I think this should give you an idea)
Cheers
Jon
N/A

I'm slowly moving stuff onto my own MX rather than using a third party and fetchmail.

However I've got an oddity... whats wrong with the following headers:

Received: from unknown (HELO massmail-marketing-eu-12113.dub2.amazon.com) ([10.32.170.60])
by mm-retail-out-13102.amazon.com with ESMTP; 22 Jun 2006 11:22:44 +0000
Received: by massmail-marketing-eu-12113.dub2.amazon.com
id AAA-merchandizing-13733,1691; 22 Jun 2006 03:31:11 -0700
Date: 22 Jun 2006 03:31:11 -0700
Message-ID: <.AAA-merchandizing-13733,1691.1150972271@massmail-marketing-eu-12113.dub2.amazon.com>
X-AMAZON-TRACK: merchandizing
To: steve@xxxxxx.org.uk
From: "=?iso-8859-1?B?QW1hem9uLmNvLnVr?=" <amazon-offers@amazon.co.uk>
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?B?R3JlYXQgZGVhbHMgb24gRGlnaXRhbCBDYW1lcmFzIGluIEVsZWN0cm9uaWNzICYgUGhvdG8gYXQgQW1hem9uLmNvLnVr?=
Bounces-to: emailSenderApp+37FG81MQPZV2Z-2P9V8D1HQ8VLX-KM6ZR0QBD6OB@bounces.amazon.com
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="mUlTiPaRtBoUnDaRy"
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-AMAZON-MAIL-RELAY-TYPE: merchandizing
Return-Path: emailSenderApp+37FG81MQPZV2Z-2P9V8D1HQ8VLX-KM6ZR0QBD6OB@bounces.amazon.com
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 22 Jun 2006 11:25:47.0924 (UTC) FILETIME=[9C092D40:01C695EE]
N/A

Hi.
Is this a trick question? Cheesy Cheesy
Apart from a load of stuff I never seen before it apears to originate from a non routable ip block.
Cheers
Jon
N/A

No not a trick question - postfix seems to throw a 501 error on it.

Problem was I didn't have full logging on so I've no idea which of the address fields is upsetting it.
N/A

Hi.
postfix 501 error is a bogus message error, could be todo with the 10.*.*.*.* ip . I don't really know but a google search for the error came up with this page.
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=postfix+501+error&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-...
Cheers
Jon
P.S.. just had a reread of your message..I got postfix on full logging and get quite a lot of these, it all comes from spam stuff so I not really looked into it much. It could be something as simple as a space in the sender name instead of a period.
Cheers
Jon
N/A

I'm sure its something to do with the crud that amazon are sending out as their headers. I suspect that + and things like that might not be allowed in email addresses unless they are quoted.

I must admit that 501 is a rather vague error - the logs show it as "501 Bad sender address syntax" but apparently it can apply to any email address in the header associated with the sender (so From, Bounces-to, or Return-Path).
N/A

Yep..
I was trying to find an example in my logs to show what was being errored my end but didn't find one.
Cheers
Jon
N/A

Things are progressing nicely.

I'ved put check_helo_access into my postfix config and created a hash db containing my external IP and rdns which stops quite a lot of the scum out there.

I do have problems with hinet.net though

I've got check_client_access configured in postfix but I'm having major problems trying to find out how to represent the following IP address ranges as subnet/masks.

I suspect that I might have to split them up into a few separate subnets/masks.

218.160.0.0 - 218.175.255.255
59.112.0.0 - 59.123.255.255

I think I need to do the first one as 218.160.0.0 - 218.169.255.255
then 218.170.0.0 - 219.175.255.255

Can anyone confirm that this is right and that check_client_access will really work with this sort of configuration.
N/A

Well given the current problems with the mail infrastructure here I'm slowly advancing.

my email server is now sending email directly to other servers.

My email server will accept email directly if its sent to my old dyndns server name.

My domain(s) are currently hosted on JTN and I use their email redirection to push it to accounts on my dyndns server name. This is causing some problems due to emails getting lost within the plusnet email infrastructure.

The next obvious step is for me to change the MX DNS records on JTN to point to my server.

I've set an a new DNS alias (mail.mydomain.org.uk) so once thats propogated I assume that I put mail.mydomain.org.uk in the first field (mail server) on the mail entries tab.

Thats the scary part because if I get it wrong then I'm stuffed. I guess I should try it on one of my "secondary domains first) and make sure it works.

I asume that if I leave Just the name in the list of mail servers then it will act as a backup MX?
N/A

I asume that if I leave Just the name in the list of mail servers then it will act as a backup MX?

I'm very, very rusty on all this stuff now but you need to priororitize the mail servers so that JTN only gets used as a last resort?
Cheers
Jon
N/A

Thats what I was thinking.

I'm waiting for the DNS changes I made on a "spare" domain I had to propogate and them I'm going to try a few things.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered setting up a group where people running their own (low usage) email servers can offer to be back MX servers for people in the same situation.?
N/A

wonder if anyone has ever considered setting up a group where people running their own (low usage) email servers can offer to be back MX servers for people in the same situation.?

Interesting thought. I imagine it would work amongst friends. Not sure about a group of people who barely know each other spread around the net though.
Cheers
Jon