cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail export/import

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mail export/import

I'm trying to export my saved mail (in folders) in OE6 from my Win2000 dual boot to OE6 in the other half of the dual boot Win XP by importing it there.

However, when I try to export the mail there is no indication where the export has been saved, nor does it allow to select the path to save the export, so while it is saved somewhere in Win2000 I can't find it as I don't know the file name or location.

The same thing incidently happens with the extensive address book in the Win2000.

What seems to be happening is that I can export/import within the same operating system (I can do it quite easily to the Outlook mail -not OE the other one- in the same operating system, but thats not what I'm trying to do.

I suppose one way would be to FW all the mails to myself (it's the same account in both systems) and collect it and re-file it in the Win XP, but that seems a very laborious way doing it when we're talking about several hundred mails and attachments on some.

There has to be an easier way....

PS exporting/importing my IE 6 favorites from Win2000 to the Win XP worked very easily, I can't quite see why I can't do it with the mail.

Can anybody help please
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Mail export/import

Q. When running XP, do you have access to the files/folders relating to Win2k?

If so you can just copy the folder from one area to the other. If not can you write a CD from Win2k?

To find your file just use the search and look for files that are less than 1 day old. The filename may be obvious and may have an extension of pst but I'm not sure.
N/A

Mail export/import

You could check this link
http://products.enterpriseitplanet.com/dms/rdbms/1076321903.html

its a backup restore for OE there are a few like this you only need it once so it may work for you
Community Veteran

Mail export/import

Thanks guy's

Peter, yes I can access the Win2000 files when in XP, but as explained (probably badly) I have no idea where they're located in 2k as the export does it's bit automatically and doesn't leave a trail. and "search" doesn't help without a file name

MWright, thanks for that I'll have a look.

Regards
Peter

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Mail export/import

You don't need a filename when searching for files due to age. The search option will have a way to select files through different search criteria like size, age etc - just look for the options or tabs to select these and leave the filename blank. Use the help if you are not sure!
N/A

Mail export/import

On my Win2k installation Outlook Express and Address Book data for UserName is stored in sub-folders of folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName

Outlook Express folders are stored as files in:
Local Settings\Identities\{XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Address Book entries are in file:
Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\UserName.wab
Community Veteran

Mail export/import

Thanks to all...

MWright, that worked extraordinarily well, it isn't quite as straight forward as the programme implies, I found the easiest way was to download the programme on both Win2000 and XP this automatically adds an Easy Outlook icon to the desk tops...so far so good.

Do the back-up in Win2k and select the path and save.

Close 2k

Open XP, locate backed-up file in the 2k files and drag to XP desk-top (it doesn't seem to work dragging directly to the Easy Outlook programme icon) from there drag into the Easy Outlook desk top icon.

The rest is automatic, although I suspect a re-start is necessary.

There are dire warnings about shutting down all running programmes, because I was in a bit of a hurry earlier today, I did the transfer without doing any of this, with it seems no ill effects.

Out of curiosity the instructions also say to shut down Windows as well at the same time before doing the back-up...I can't see how the back-up can be done if you do that, unless I'm missing something somewhere.

Supplementary question:

Now I've shifted all the important files I need from Win2k to XP I no longer need the Win 2k, it's on a seperate HDD (not a partition) something tells me that to get rid of it is more involved than just re-formatting that particular HDD.

The XP is on drive C so is the boot drive so that shouldn't cause any problems I think...what do you think?

Thanks again MWright

N/A

Mail export/import

Edit the boot.ini file removing W2K , then you can delete
the W2K folder and / or re - format in XP, right click and choose
format, on hard drive Icon.

http://www.pctechnicians.ca/help/delxpw2k.html

Alec
Community Veteran

Mail export/import

Excellent stuff chap's, both issues solved....if you've got a problem this is the place to get it sorted.

Petlew