cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail Server Question

N/A

Mail Server Question

Hi,

I originally posted this in general chit-chat, then I realised this forum may have more appropriate Shockedops:

Is it possible for me to access my own Outlook mail .pst file from 2 pcs at home? I'm aware of Microsoft Exchange etc, but I'm quite sure that is overkill for a home user!

Basically I want to be able to retrieve my email from both my main pc, and another pc elsewhere in my house, but still have it all saved to one single .pst file.

I have had a look in Outlook and can't see anything anywhere.

A search on the net just gives me corporate-type software/answers.

Any ideas? or is it a no-go from the start for a server novice like myself!

Cheers,
Tim.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Mail Server Question

Only Exchange can do what you want.
However you could set Outlook on the second PC to leave a copy on the server and then allow you to download it on the main PC or you could use IMAP. Check the link:support pages for help on setting up IMAP.

Chris
N/A

Sharing a pst file

:twisted:

Are your PC's networked in any way ??

How is Outlook setup in the original PC ?? i.e. do you have multiple pst files, etc...
N/A

Mail Server Question

Hi,

I currently have 2 pc's. My main pc has 2 profiles on it and therefore has 2 .pst files for Outlook, depending who logs on.

What I want to do is install Outlook on my 2nd pc and then be able to send/receive etc as if I was on my main pc using the same .pst file.

Sounds like you may have an answer for me..... :-)

Hope that made sence! Shockedops:

Cheers for your reply,

Tim.
N/A

Reply, but need a bit more info !!!

I understand what you're saying, but what i need to know is are your 2 PC's networked (i.e. connected with a crossover ethernet cable or connected together with a hub/switch) ?!?!?
In other words can you access files on PC1 from PC2 or visa versa in any way ?!?!?

If you're PC's are connected together data wise then you can use 1 *.pst file on either PC.

Let me know the answers to my above questions and we'll take it from there !!

Regards
N/A

Mail Server Question

Hi,

Sorry, yes, my pc's are networked, currently by a crossover cable. I do have access to a netowk hub also (in a box somewhere!) if that makes things easier!!!

Thanks again for your help.

Tim.
N/A

Mail Server Question

1, What version of Outlook are you using ?

2, How is Outlook setup on your PC's at the moment ? (regardless of how you want to set it up !!)

3, What type of email account are you using (POP or IMAP) ?

4, Where are your current *.pst files located ? and which one do you want to share between the 2 PC's ?

If you are unsure about how to find out the answers to questions 3, click on the Start button select Settings then Control Panels and double click on Mail (or Mail & Fax depending on your Outlook version) this is where you will find out the email type you use in one way or another (again, depending on your Outlook version).
N/A

Mail Server Question

Hi "Thebillingtons!" Thanks for your continued help!

1) Outlook 2002 (Office XP)

2) Outlook is accessed from 2 separate profiles, we'll call them A & B. When A logs on, he can access his .pst file and when B logs on, he can access his too. Both .pst files are totally separate.

3) I'm using POP email accounts on PlusNet

4) The location of the .pst files are:

C:\Documents and Settings\A\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

C:\Documents and Settings\B\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

Ideally, I would like to access both .pst files from the 2nd pc depending on who logs on at the time.

Hope this clears a few things up!

Cheers,

Tim.
N/A

Mail Server Question

Sorry for the delay in replying, been on a stag weekend, just recovered !!!!!

On PC 2, do you want to be able to send/receive emails using one or both of the *.pst files ??

or do you just want to send/receive on one *.pst file (profile A or B) but have access to the second *.pst file ??

Regards
N/A

Mail Server Question

Hi,

No problem, re:reply. I appreciate your help in the first place! Hope you had a good weekend :-)

Now down to business.....

Ideally, I would like the option of sending and receiving from either .pst file on the 2nd pc depending who logs on there at the time, just the same as I would on the "main" pc.

Cheers,

Tim.
N/A

Mail Server Question

What Operating System are you using 2000 or XP ?!?!?

Is PC1 configured with a Windows logon's of A & B ?!?!?
N/A

Mail Server Question

Hi,

Both pc's are running XP and both have the option to log in as A or B.
Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tim.
N/A

Mail Server Question

All of the below is based on the assumption Outlook hasn't been configured yet on PC2. Shocked

:roll: Firstly, on PC2 login as A, configure Outlook just the same way you have on PC1 logged in as A, (don't worry about the fact they are different *.pst files at the moment). Configure the email accounts and everything.

:shock: Secondly login as A on PC1, right click on the folder C:\Documents and Settings\A\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ and select 'Sharing and Security', click on the 'Sharing' tab, tick 'Share this folder on the network', tick 'Allow network users to change my files' and enter the Share Folder name as OutlookA and click OK.

Wink Once this has been done you now need to map a drive to PC1 from PC2, to do this login to PC2 as A, right click on My Computer and select 'Map Network Drive', select a drive letter from the 'Drive' drop down list, then click on 'Browse', and search through Network Places for and double click on 'PC1' (you should have 2 folders in there called OutlookA & OutlookB) click on OutlookA, click OK. Once you have done this tick 'Reconnect at logon' then click on 'Finish'. To verify if the drive has been mapped, go into My Computer and there should now be an extra drive with the letter you chose.

Shocked Using Windows Explorer, find the *.pst files that have been saved for the above Outlook configuration's and rename the files (just to be safe) with _old at the end of the existing name (i.e. outlook_old.pst).(The location's of the *.pst files on PC2 should be the same as PC1)

:shock: Now run Outlook logged in as 'A' on PC2 and launch Outlook, it should return an error message saying that the *.pst cannot be found, after that you will get a dialogue box to browse to a new *.pst file, go to the drive letter that you set up earlier and in the there will your *.pst file on PC1 for logon A. Click on Outlook.pst and click on Open. Now click on Tools, Email Accounts..., click on the button 'View or change existing email acccounts' click 'Next' and where it says 'Deliver new e-mail to the following location' make sure that it lists your *.pst file from PC1. Click Finish to return to Outlook.

:twisted: Outlook should now configured using the *.pst from logon A on PC1.

:idea: For login B, just repeat everything you have just done for logon A above but when you share the Outlook folder on PC1 logged in as B, name it OutlookB, also when you map a drive to PC1 select folder OutlookB instead and to reduce confusion use the same drive letter as login A.

:shock: Hope this all makes sense and works for you.
N/A

Mail Server Question

Cheers so much for your help.

I'll give your advice a try next week as I'm away from my pc now.

I'll get back to you when I've given it a try Cheesy

Many thanks for your continued help!
Cheers,

Tim. :shock:
N/A

Mail Server Question

Hi,

Right, I'm back after my week in scorching Dorset! Cool

I've given your suggestions a try, and after a few tweaks, all appears to be working!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Many many thanks for your help.

Cheers 'n beers!

Tim.