cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

sydse26

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

My PC is 6 years old now. I am plagued with the burden and cost of virus protection, Plusnet have introduced me to a new scary world of spam and I gather from MS that I need to upgrade to Vista to get support for my PC/software problems.

I'm thinking of swapping to a Mac but am nervous. Has anyone recently moved from PC to mac? If so is it true that we can experience Mac heaven from this PC hell?! Well thats' what the Mac salesmen would have me think anyhow.

Seriously any advice on the truth that all my PC files will be readable and other possible 'glitches' would be greatly apprecaited.

[Moderators Note by Daniel (no7olivier) thread moved to correct forum.]
29 REPLIES
N/A

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

you could always try free software to protect youself (in no particular order)

antivirus - avg, avast etc
firewall - comodo, zonealarm
anti-spyware/adware/trojan - boclean, superantispyware, adaware, spybot

I can't answer the mac question, don't have one.
N/A

Mac v PCs

Hi there,

I've run an iMac for the last four years and up until this last weekend had only received around a dozen spam e-mails. Since Monday I have received a total of 17 which have been deleted. I have used a Norton Internet Security firewall and virus checker, (system scanned yesterday and everything OK), and presently have OS X10.3.9 installed. I have also turned on the Plus Net spam filter and virus checker. I am also going to change my Account password but as yet this doesn't seem to be possible due to the amount of traffic which is being created with everyone doing this.

I have found the Mac OS stable although I do use an external HD to back everthing up every day or two. The system is generally user friendly the only problem being that there are not many Mac users in country districts should you live in one. The user groups are generally good and if you have any problems I have found that you can often get them solved by approaching one of these.

Regards,

David.
N/A

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

You could also change OS
hevey
Grafter

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

Macs are cool. I wouldn't have one myself, but they're great for people who don't want to mess about "maintaining" their machine, or do the necessary learing needed with Windows.

It depends wht you mean by PC files. You certainly will be able to access things like digital photos, mp3s, text files etc. A journalist friend of mine moved from PC to Mac about two years ago and the only problem I've had sending him stuff is that he can't see images in emails I send him - but I don't get that with other Mac users. The only shock for him was that he expected to be able to load programs he'd purchased for his PC like MS Office. Definitely not - he had to buy all that again. Apart from that he's a happy chappy - finds it much more reliable etc., although things do crash now and again - but nothing like his PC did.

Don't beleive the hype about them being nicer / easier to use though. I often use his machine and honestly can't see what all the fuss is about when compared to a well maintained PC, particularly now Vista's out. That's only my opinion though - no doubt the Mac people that flame me for saying that will tell you different!!!
hevey
Grafter

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

For got to say - the spam thing is nothing to do with the Mac / PC thing. You can protect both from spam equally
N/A

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

As a long-term Mac user (10 years+) I can state that the only annoyances I have are spam mails. (Well, the ones generated by the current fiasco).

I have a virus-checker on my machine, but I've never been affected by a virus. Whether that's because of the protection or my own common sense, who knows?

All I know is that my machine just works. I switch it on, do stuff and switch off. I've never had to reload the OS and never had to take the machine to bits.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend is a PC user and I recently built her a PC. Whilst it works fine, she seems to get all sorts of security issues. I also convinced my dad to go for a Mac for his business computer and as a consequence I now get a lot less "help!" calls. He seems quite happy with it.

I've got a Powerbook G4 (12 inch) and a Mac Mini, both on 10.4.9 that work like a charm - feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

M.

P.S. I'm not a fanboy. Honest. Like somebody else said, you could change OS. (Isn't Ubuntu a good Linux dist?)
Community Veteran

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

I switched to Mac about a year ago after sliding between windows and linux. I've found the Mac OS to be extremely stable and user friendly and have no problems with transferring files between my mac and the PC based network at college.

The current range of macs are very good value for money, based on their harware specifactions alone, but also come with iLife which is a suite of applications designed for organising photos (iPhoto), creating DVDs (iDVD), designing and updating websites (iWeb), editing video (iMovie) making music (Garageband) and organising music (iTunes)*

All the iLife apps are designed to work together. For example you can choose some photos in iPhoto to make a slideshow with, choose some music from your iTunes library to back the slideshow, and then export it to iDVD to burn to DVD and take round other's houses to show them.

For web browsing and email the mac comes pre installed with Safari and "Mail".

Switching to Mac won't stop the spam coming through, but mail has excellent spam filters that will move anything detected as spam to a junk mail folder, if anything slips through you can just hit a button and it will move it to the junk folder. It also learn from the mail you mark to become more accurate at detecting spam.

As others have said there is always the option of free security software / switching to another PC OS, but I help this post helps on the mac side of things.
sydse26

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

Brilliant, marvelous, great ...

Thank you all so much.

I am much comforted by your thoughts and wisdom and feel much better placed to make my decsion. I may yet ask more 'dumb' questions but I truly really appreciate this.

With sincere gratitude

John
MacOS10
Grafter

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

Macs will have almost all the software you need - if you require Microsoft Office, and you're involved in education you qualify for the Office Mac 2004 Student & Teacher Edition, which is essentially the same as the Standard edition, but lots cheaper. Even if you just know someone in education, get them to register it on your behalf - or sign up for an evening class to qualify as a student!!

There's also free alternatives, such as Neo Office or Office Office which will read and save to standard MS Office formats (Word, Excel etc).

iLife 06 just works - it's designed for consumers so it's very easy to use, just drag 'n' drop simplicity. Make sure you order a Mac with a Superdrive (Apple's name for a DVD writer) so you can burn your masterpieces to a DVD.

You may want to wait until October(ish) when the next major revision to Mac OS X is released - 10.5 Leopard. Having said that, the current version - 10.4 Tiger - is fantastic and stable (and light-years ahead of Windows XP and even Vista). I've never had a crash since I moved to OS X, not one. Try saying that with Windows. And there's no viruses or spyware to worry about (yet, at least) - although I'm not complacent, especially in the light of recent events at PlusNet!

In terms of models, if you're after portability there's the MacBooks (just updated in the last day or so) or the more powerful MacBook Pros. The major difference is the MacBooks have integrated (shared) graphics, whereas the Pros have a dedicated graphics card, so they're the ones to go for if you're after out-and-out perfomance for gaming etc. That's not to say the MacBooks are underpowered, far from it.

The iMacs are very good, but again these are due an update very soon, so you might want to hold off for a month or so. That said, the current models offer a great balance between performance and value for money. Don't forget, too, that you're also getting a very good LCD for that money - one of the best IMHO.

If you're after the best performance money can buy, go for the Mac Pro - this is the only Mac where that you can upgrade the components in (PCI cards, extra HDs, graphics cards etc) - all other models are limited to just RAM upgrades and swapping out the hard drive for another.

Hope that helps convince you that Macs are the way to go. Don't be afraid to ask any further questions.
Denzil
Grafter

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

As an alternative try Linux. The widely used distributions like Ubuntu, Suse and Mandriva all work well and are relatively easy to use, run on standard PC hardware, are secure, and are free.

They can have their own difficulties, and there is a learning process, but anyone who is computer literate can pick it up.

Macs can be easier to use, and are reliable and secure, but need special hardware and cost more. The choice is yours.
N/A

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

I use Macs a lot through my college, and have owned a PC for years on my own, and I do prefer PCs myself. Macs are fine, PCs are fine, in all honesty I don't think either is actually better it just depends what sort of person you are - it's like asking what's better, pencils or crayons, some people have different ways of working so will pick different ones. The whole 'it just works' thing to me is rubbish though, sure it just works, but so does a PC, the only reason PCs can be considered more unstable than Macs is because you can fiddle with them more, you're invited to a whole world of rubbish software that isn't available on the Mac (because generally speaking only tried and tested software gets added as nobody can afford to develop software for a system that isn't as popular as a PC - market base is larger) and you have the option to upgrade the PC a bit at a time unlike a Mac. If you buy a PC outright, don't upgrade it like you would a Mac and only stick to very reputable software for whatever you need to do, follow common sense about virus and spam protection (incidentally the only reason Macs don't get viruses is because they're not as popular, who wants to crash 3 PCs when youc an crash 3000?) and you'll never have as many problems as people would make you believe. The Macs I use crash once in a blue moon, but guess what, so does my PC, and the only reason it ever does is because I've fecked around with it. If you're having numerous problems with the PC I'd suggest it's either because it's a)simply too old to run up to date software properly or b) you are not too great at using it. No offence, it's not an insult, not everyone wants to be a computer geek, but if you don't know what you're doing with a PC you wont have much more luck with a Mac I'm afraid. That's just my opinion - the best option for you is to learn more about how they work and how to operate one efficiently. Sandwich anyone? I have tuna.
Bookman
Grafter

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

As an alternative try Linux.

And you can try them without changing your computer or OS, and without any effect on your hard disk. Just get a "live CD" version, e.g the Ubuntu CD can be used as a live CD to try it out and then as an install CD if you want to proceed. And there is no cost if you download the file and burn your own CD. Cool
Community Veteran

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

My computer operating system history is that back in 2000, I bought my first Windows PC with Windows 98SE; I skipped Windows ME but got XP when it came out. In 2004 (or maybe earlier 2005, I can't remember) I then built my mum a cheap computer for doing basic stuff, again using XP. However, in March 2005 I moved over to a Mac for myself, and loved it - but my mum was stuck using a Windows computer, which she had a hard time with. So in January 2006 I switched my mum over to the Mac OS too, and neither of us have looked back. We now have two Macs in the house: a Mac Pro for my main use, plus a MacBook Pro which my mum uses and I borrow occasionally for uni. Both are great computers to use. The Mac OS suits me down to the ground because I'm a musician and photographer; Ok, you can run music software on a computer too, but Logic is only available for Macs; and in terms of photography, the OS is a million zillion times better for working with than Windows. (For example, Safari is the only browser I know of that is actually colour-managed - i.e. it understands ICC profiles). In my mum's case however, she doesn't do anything special on it, but everything simply 'makes sense' to her more than Windows does, so she loves it too.

If you do decide to purchase a Mac and have any questions, then it's always worth asking in this forum - as you can see there're a few of us who have a decent amount of experience with Apple Macs.
sydse26

Mac heaven and Pc Hell?

Great stuff; I will do the following (I think):

1. Hold my hands up and admit I want to use my PC not tinker with it.

2. Get someone who does do tinkering to take a look and see if I've messed something up

3.Assuming the problem is fixable, do so for now. If not get a Mac now.

4. Getting a Mac sounds like the asnwer for me and seems sooooo much more like a tool and not a hobby - I want to use it and not have it use me!

5. I guess I should wait until the autumn before buying a Mac as buying before the OS upgrade sounds daft.

I really apprecaite the advice. You're all stars, thank you, thank you thank you...

John