cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS X version 10.3.9 burning DVD's problem.

N/A

Hi All

I discovered over the week end that my combo disc in my Mac G4 PPC was not a DVD writer so today (Monday) I went out an bought an external unit the particulars of which are posted below.Now given that the both the manual and the box both indicate the ability to burn both single layer and double layer DVD's I am concerned about the 4th line down the one that says "Disc Burning:Not supported" why would this be? it reads and writes CD's ok and plays commercial DVD's (albeit not as good as the combo) but if I put a DVD-R into it the unit it runs for a while and then ejects the disc with the error message "the drive is not supported" comes up on my desktop

Manufacturer: PHILIPS
Model: PHILIPS ED16DVDS
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Not Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
Product ID: 2076 ($81c)
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Vendor Name: PHILIPS
Bus Power (mA): 100

Am I missing something very basic or is it simply that the unit is USB 2.0 and is not backwardly compatable with my USB 1.0 enough to satisfying DVD burning requirements, and a USB 2.0 adapter card is required. Or worst case scenario "Macs" are very fussy about what DVD burners they are connected to.

I have to say that at the moment I have no "proper" DVD burning application.Don;t know if that would make any difference but don't really wish to buy any until I solve the mystery of that 4th line

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated
2 REPLIES
N/A

Found specs on your burner here:-

http://www.storagecompany.com/ecProduct.asp?ID=2177&CAT=VOB

• Hard disk space 500 MB
• PC OS Windows 98 SE, 2000, ME, XP
• Processor Pentium IV 1GHz or faster, 256 RAM

Suspect that it is not compatible with Mac. Best get in touch with Phillips and ask to be sure.

Good luck

Dave Dillon
N/A

Re: Mac OS X version 10.3.9 burning DVD's problem.

Suspect that it is not compatible with Mac.

Dave

It turned out that the drive was not interested DVD wise in anything less than USB 2.0 so I bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and the was able to read and write DVD-R......... but opened up another can of worms for myself that needs solving in the process Cry

Thanks for the reply

Ian.