cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN messenger wont disable

N/A

Just wonder if anyone seen this issue,
i don't want to remove msn messenger, just disable for now.
I have searched many forums and found many references to the problem.
registry hacks to remove, disable in any number of places (outlook, startup etc etc).
I believe i have disabled everywhere i can see,
but norton firewall keeps telling me it is trying to access the internet (continually about every 5 mins while connected).
The connection attempts take place regardless of what applications are open, usually none as first attempt is as soon as i get connected.

It is driving me bonkers and numerous hours to try and turn this off.

Has anyone else experienced this, got any ideas ?
i have not downloaded any xp updates since disabling everywhere, (another feature curtesy of billy is updates will re enable the messenger).

windows xp
norton firewall and virus
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Go to Tools options Then the General tag and untick the box "Start when Windows Starts"

You will then have to actually run it once you re boot if you then want to use it.
N/A

I am afraid i have been there
also removed from msconfig start up,
this thing still want to talk to the outside world every 5 mins.

The odd thing i now notice is that there are about 6 occurances of the app in norton firewall config.
i can amend one (applied blocked to it) but the rest cannot be amended/removed.
N/A

I am afraid i have been there
also removed from msconfig start up,
this thing still want to talk to the outside world every 5 mins.

The odd thing i now notice is that there are about 6 occurances of the app in norton firewall config.
i can amend one (applied blocked to it) but the rest cannot be amended/removed.

Hello,

I had a similar problem with msn, after investigating I found that there's a client called 'loadqm' that sits somewhere on the machine. I did the Ctrl Alt/ Delete sequence and there it was. I tried ending task and that removed it, however, on the next start up it was there again. Apparently, I was informed you have to remove msn altogether and not use it after that uninstall. I now do not use msn.

This may not be the cause of your problem though, just a suggestion.

Fred
N/A

If you are opening Outlook Express for emailing then Messenger starts as well.

Go into Outlook express, click > Tools & untick the box marked "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger"

It May work!
N/A

Hi, have you disabled messenger as a service, go to start>run and enter services.msc its under messenger. u can changed it to either manual or disabled, its up to u
N/A

Issue resolved,

not quite sure what was going on, or how the problem dissappeared.
I disabled messenger everywhere, but the exe continued to launch at startup.

I decided to remove the pesky thing by the following method.

amend following file

c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf.
Look for the line starting with "msmsgs" and remove "hide," from the end of this line.
Now goto Control Panel -> Add/Remove -> Windows Components. Windows Messenger should now be listed.

messenger was listed in the add/remove listings but could not be actioned,
killed the process in task manager and returned to add/remove listings,
whereupon it had already been unchecked (i have no real idea what wa going on now).

anyway, doing nothing else i am messenger free at last.

awaiting the next critical xp update to re activate the damn thing.

thanks all for comments.
N/A

if your running xp, its integrated into it, like explorer, its also an autoupdating program, meaning it`ll start up at regular intervals trying to uppdate. this is very annoying, i think you get programs to totaly stop this, but as of yet i am unaware of the names of any of these.
N/A

If you use Norton AV2003, it has built-in checking for MSN Messenger which keeps it "alive", so you'll have to go into NAVs options to disable it.
N/A

I found the easiest way to disable the darned thing (in XP) was open up explorer, go to program files and then find the messenger folder. Right click it and rename it to something like "MessengerOFF". This actually disables it totally as I understand it, as of course, the folder that XP wants to communicate with to start messenger, no longer exists. If you subsequently wish to use Messenger in the future, just rename the folder back to "Messenger".

It's always worked fine for me anyway. Smiley