cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Messenger... arrghhhh!!!

N/A

Our Poor PC lost the will to live on Friday (maybe due to too much ET playing! lol) In the end we had to get a new motherboard, processr and hard drive.

This has obviously meant we have lost everything we had and we are going thur gradually installing things.

Problem we are coming up against tho is that MSN Messenger keeps trying to run in the background by itself! We have disabled it from the startup using msconfig, the option in outlook Express to start Messenger when it starts has been disabled.. and the options in the actual Messenger menu to run when windows starts and to allow it to run in the background are also disabled.... so we just cant understand why its doing it and where its starting up fromHuh?

Anyone else had this problem. and anyone know a way round it? We want to keep MSN as we do use it. but we only want to use it when WE want to.. not when the PC thinks it should!!! lol
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

There is a guide here which explains how to remove microsoft messenger.

Hope this helps.
N/A

thanks for that.. i wil have to have a good look at the guide... i dont want to remove it all together as i do use the instant messaging part... but i dont want it to start up when it feels like it... i want to control when it starts or doesnt!!
Many thanks for your help Smiley
N/A

What happend to your pc again Huh?
N/A

no idea what happened really.. its usually on all the time... but for some reason we turned it off on friday night.. and it wouldnt boot up again the nest day. When it was checked over something had happened with the processor.. which in turn did something to the hard drive.
We fitted a new processor.... but it was a bit too powerful for the old motherboard.. so we ended up getting a new one of those too!!!!
Ah well.. i guess its not such a bad thing. Ive now got a much faster machine and now got 200gb hard drive instead of the 40 i used to have Smiley
N/A

Go to Start > Run and type in 'msconfig' without the quotation marks and press ENTER. Click on the Startup tab and looks for an item called msmsgs. Untick it and click OK. Restart when prompted and tick the tick box after restart and say OK.

Hope this helps.
N/A

its not ticked on there.. as i said i have done that, also unticked the option in msn itself to stop it loading with windows and stopped it loading with outlook exress too.... it had a mind of its own!! arrrghhhh
I may try taking it off completely then looking at reinstalling it again. This is the one that came with windows xp that keeps popping up
N/A

Sounds like the best course of action, or you could try the update to the latest version to see if this helps.

http://messenger.microsoft.com/
N/A

You might want to try Gaim, which is a free alternative to MSN Messenger that's also compatible with other instant messaging protocols. You can get it from http://gaim.sourceforge.net/