cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Frontpage

N/A

MS Frontpage

When I was running a OEM version of Windows 98 some years ago I seem to remember that Frontpage was installed as part of Windows even though I never used that program. Now having XP Home I decided to make use of Frontpage only to find that in program files that the Frontpage folder contains another folder called 'version 3' and all that contains is a folder called 'bin' which is empty. The 'add windows components' makes no mention of adding Frontpage off the XP disk.
Is my memory playing tricks on me, was Frontpage part of 98 and if so could I install it off the 98 disk without any compatability problems?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

MS Frontpage

Yes I think you are correct. I seem to recall a cut down version of front page (frontpage express) being available with one of the earlier versions of windows. 98 I think.
It disappeared when I went to win98se.

I think you may have difficulty installing it on XP as it was contained in the cab files of the windows CD.
If you can extract all the correct files you may get somewhere but I think its an uphill struggle.
N/A

MS Frontpage

Cheers John, after digging out and looking through the 98 disk files I have to agree that my idea is a non starter. It's a bit odd that XP should install an empty folder called 'version 3'. Maybe MS assumed that I would rush out and buy a copy of Frontpage just to fill the gap. Anyway there appears to be some free alternatives available for the occasional user like myself. I did start to learn html once, but like most things, if you don't use it you lose it.
Community Veteran

MS Frontpage

Have you looked on MS's website to see if you can download a complete copy of FP Express?

Chris
N/A

MS Frontpage

Yes, they aren't giving it away just yet.
grahambritten
Grafter

MS Frontpage

Front Page Express was also a component that you could be installed as part of an Internet Explorer installation. I know it was available as part of IE 5.1

Check out your old magazine CD's. If you can't find one, I do have a copy of IE 5.1 that will install Front Page Express.
N/A

MS Frontpage

Thanks for the offer Graham, but I'll use my son's pc. He's still running win98.