cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Exchange 2000 - Stop users from selecting send 'From'

N/A

OK, need some help here,
Currently running Exchange 2000, fully service packed etc on a Win Ser 2k box, again fully SP'd.
Currently users have the ability to choose who they are sending the mail 'From'
I knew it was possible, but always assumed that I could do it as I am in an administrators group, however during some routine testing yesterday I discovered that all users can choose whose name to put in the 'From' field.
(assuming that they go to View>From Field in Outlook)
I've spoken to a couple of administrators that I know, hoping they would tell me I was being thick, and its really simple, do this this this and this, and you're good - however when they tested it, their domains also allowed this action.
I'm pretty sure its straight forward, but finding settings in AD or Exchange is not always easy, simply because there are so many.

Tearing my hair out!
2 REPLIES
MarkAngel
Grafter

You can start by checking the security setting on your Exchange box, via Exchange system manager. Administritive groups ---> First Administritive Group---->Right click on your Server and make sure that Everyone and Authenicated Users have no rights (Especially Send As). You will probably want Everyone to have "Create Named Properties in the Domain.....)

That should do it, as long as your users don't have any kind of Admin rights, or are in any groups that are listed in the above permission groups.

M
N/A

You can put anyone's name in the From: field on Exchange 5.5, 2000 or 2003 but when you select send the permissions are then checked and it should fail. Is this what you are seeing? In addition you can send as and send on behalf of, the latter can actually be set by a user for another user through Outlook.