Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Access on linux

jabb0
Grafter

MS Access on linux

Ok,
I have absolutely no need for this... however my bro's school is using MS access to do an A-level project on, and although it will not kill him not having MS Access at home, it will mean he will have to complete the all of the project on the school compos.

Now I dont agree with the whole MS in schools thing, hell knows i kicked up a bg enough fuss when they made me use MS, but lets save that for another time guys.

I know it is possible via several methods to get MS Access data onto linux based databases, but i am computery kinda guy and while I prolly could get the job done - it wouldnt suffice his needs.

He is gonna need something pretty straightforward, like import and export buttons that do everything for him...
Now i am new to linux, and have looked up a few methods, but none seem that simple.

Would you know of such an aplication?

I could setup openoffice, to do the job, but i dont know if it will fulfill his needs....
8 REPLIES
jabb0
Grafter

MS Access on linux

Cedega.
If it plays Win games, its bound to play office software too.

But can anyone confirm this, before i either shell out dosh for this, or have a go at compiling the source (just for laff)
holdtight
Grafter

MS Access on linux

Imho you should save yourself any hassles and just use openoffice as you suggested

it does everything your brother would need and more, the difference with ms office are the more advanced features which unless you work in an office you wont need anyway

ive got both installed (not on the same systems) and the differences are negligable and although i run linux im not clear about installing ms on it as ive not tried (have put it on a mac though) but with openoffice you wont have any probs with and best of all its free
jabb0
Grafter

MS Access on linux

Yeah, but can MS ACCESS files be opened and edited by Openoffice - if so then happy days.

But my lil bro is forced to use ms access at school for his project - si there aint much of a choice here.

Cheers for da reply
Please. Do it again.
N/A

MS Access on linux

IIRC, yes.

But you can't use any internal forms or queries within the database.

You can only access tables. I am not sure about stored queries.
jabb0
Grafter

MS Access on linux

Well ya see the thing he was saying yesterday there taht he was workin on Visual Basic, which really makes me think that they are going to be using visual basic for applications on this one.
Which makes me think i need to get the real mcoy running on linux.

Will a windoze emulator do the trick, anyone got any experience with emulators?
Community Veteran

MS Access on linux

WINE does not currently support MS access and I'm not aware of any other emulators that do either.

You also can't use openoffice in the way you want, visual basic probably does work under WINE but you can't access MS access databases and as you can't run MS access natively on Linux , your son will have to use his school PCs.

Or you could get a cheap PC, install windows & office on it for him to use. I think it would be a good idea to still have windows in the house as most schools use that and he will need experience of it out of school.
jabb0
Grafter

MS Access on linux

LMAO Cheesy

Im still not outa school meself (well techncally i am at uni, last year YAY) - i do not have a son, and dont particularly want one yet Shocked :shock:

It me lil bro that needs it, lololol!!!!

Yeah i thought this one would stomp me, however my sis (not daughter Wink ) has a laptop with windoze, and i put MS Office on it for her.

So in the end this is going to be real easy to solve, tell my bro to use her compo, although he has neva done any programming before, so i am thinin that he would not be doing much outside of school for a while yet anyways.

If worst comes to worst, and WWIII breaks out over her laptop i will dual install his compo...

Thanks for the info guys, you have saved me alot of blood sweat and tears over something that would have had little chance of eva geting offa the ground.
Community Veteran

MS Access on linux

HeHe oops! Shockedops: