cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP3 Server

N/A

MP3 Server

What are people's views on the best way to setup an MP3 server system for home use?

Basically, I have a Dual Pentium 3 - 1Ghz based server which is currently redundant. I also have circa 40Gb of mp3 and m4a music tracks which are currently stored on multiple DVDs (Yes they are all legitimate Cheesy ) and I would like to make use of this server to "serve" my music tracks for me, to save me having to keep swapping and changing DVDs.

How would be the best way for me to do this? Would I be best going for a simple shared storage system (Eg. Install Win XP, copy my music onto the hard disk and share the disk across the network) or is there some form of "streaming" type option? I don't really understand this area of networking (media isn't my strongpoint), so would greatly value any opinions Smiley

I will need to be able to access the music across my windows network, play it using either win media player or winamp and be able to browse through all of the tracks (not just playlists, although I would like to share playlists too).

Your thoughts please Smiley
3 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

MP3 Server

If it were me I would keep it simple. Keep the files in a simple folder structure on the server, then on each PC map the drive on the server to a local drive letter, then you can play them with whatever player you like as if the files were stored locally.
FireStorm
Grafter

MP3 Server

I would slap a web front end on it, in fact the Microsoft Media Center developers SDK is a great starting place because you can make a web front end with all the look and feel of the MCE interface :-)
N/A

MP3 Server

Thanks for the advice, Guys Smiley

My circumstances have actually changed a fiar bit now, so the server will be getting put to a slightly alternative use (I will be posting for advice on that matter shortly) but thanks anyway.