Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Virtual Memory warnings

chrisco
Grafter

Morning to everyone,

I keep getting this message: "Your system is low on virtual memory, windows is increasing the size of your vm paging file" I've checked the system properties & the setting for all drives (I have 3 a,c,d) is a total of 755mb. My questions are,

a) What's causing this?
b) According to the message windows is automatically increasing the size of the vm but is this enough, should I be changing the size manually?

c) My machine also suffers a lot from blue screen crashes - physical memory dumps, & application hangs, is this anything to do with the vm problem?

OS is Windows XP SP2, & it's a P4 2.80GHz with 512 of RAM & I've had the machine about 18 months.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received, I would warn anyone that comes up with an idea, I'm quite computer illiterate when it comes to the inner workings so be gentle! Shockedops:

Regards, Chris Cole
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It means the apps you are running require more physical memory than you have so it's using the swap (page) file more and more.

The solution, get more memory.

This may help with the blue screens but there are many other causes like faulty memory. Try doing a memory test with Memtest86+. Use the precompiled floppy version and run it overnight.

Also I usually manually set the swap file to 2.5 x physical memory (upto 512K physical) and 1x physical memory (1GB or greater)
chrisco
Grafter

Thanks for the advice Peter. I ran the memory test for over 11 hours & nothing showed up.
When you say the apps are using more memory than is available, what would consider to be a "hungry" programme? I have MS Office with Word, Excel & Access, my printer is Hp 2410 all-in-one I have a few photos stored but nothing excessive, I don't download much from the Net. The set up hasn't changed since I bought the machine & everything worked fine at first. I have also checked for spyware, viruses & Trojans, I'm at a loss as to what's causing the problems. Assuming I need more memory, how much more?

Regards, Chris Cole
Community Veteran

both XP and MS office can be very memory hungry, especially the latest 2003 versions of office. I suspect, if you have installed any other apps, they may have some background processes running which all need memory.

To get a better understanding of what apps are using what memory, try downloading an eval copy of Taskinfo which shows a lot mor einfo than the windows task manager

Clearly with the VM warnings you are getting something is using it up so I would suggest adding another 512MB of memory - should be no more than £35 - and see if that helps (as well as upping the VM size in windows to 1GB).
chrisco
Grafter

Okay, I'm running both of those.Thought you may be interested, (although you may already be aware) I had a look at task manager & noticed the process vsmon.exe was eating up in excess of 171,000k of memory & this is evidently part of Zone Alarm firewall which I run. I "googled " this & came up with some interesting reading & am convinced this is what's causing my problems as I installed ZA sometime after I bought the system & as I said before my troubles started sometime after.
I shall look into the possibility of doing something about this to reclaim some of the memory or failing that do as you suggest & get some more RAM.
Thanks for your help.

Chris
N/A

hiya

sorry if you already checked this but
if you increase your virtual memory size make sure you still
got room on your hard drive to cope with it cos this is where
it does the swop files etc

sorry got no info on your hard drive to see how full it is?
you say your PC 18 months old so wouldnt thought it would
be as big as they are now
and a few good games on and few other stuff on soon eats it away

but as previously metioned more ram is best!!!!!!!

takecare

Rob Cool
N/A

Have you tried running an anti-spyware package?

ZA won't always pick up spyware. and it sounds to me like that's what's going on.
chrisco
Grafter

@phoenixsystems, I have used barely 1/3rd of my HD (12gb out of 40gb) no games installed just stuff as listed in my previous post.

@misterjesus, I am very strict & run a full system scan with Adaware every time I've been on the net .

I checked task manager again this morning & the ZA file mentioned before was using 244,000k of memory. For anyone running ZA, have a look at this link, www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/vsmon.exe.html & you'll see why I'm thinking that's what's running away with the memory.

Chris Cole
Community Veteran

What version of ZA are you using? The latest is 6.0.667.000 (both free and Pro). If you are not running this try upgrading and see if it helps.
chrisco
Grafter

Hi Peter, yes that's the version I'm running, I have had a good clean up this morning of files etc using crapcleaner (saw that tip in another posting) & things don't seem too bad at the moment but obviously only time will tell. It's just so annoying I seem to spend all my time sorting these things out & never seem to get anything useful done!

Chris
vic_newey
Grafter

just loading WinXP SP2 will probably take half your memory before you even start any apps.
load a program like cacheman & you can see the free ram available on the taskbar
chrisco
Grafter

Thinking I would really like to keep Zone Alarm firewall in spite of the fact it's very hungry, I upgraded my ram to 1 GB & I'm still getting low VM warnings.

Has anybody out there got any other ideas as to what's causing this & how to remedy it. (See previous posts for action I've taken already).

:? Regards Chris Cole
Community Veteran

FYI, I'm running an older version of ZA from 2003, my (vsmon.exe) is using 11K of memory!
I guess to say yours is being hungry @ 244K is an understatment!
chrisco
Grafter

Checked just now & it's using 594k! Could this be a bug posing as vsm.exe (although I run all the usual security measures) it seems as though the more memory you have the more it eats! I'm very confused. Would disabling this process affect ZA effectiveness as I'm not very good at knowing about the more tecnical things just the basics.

I suppose a good thump with a sledge hammer might do the trick, at least I won't have a machine to bother my head about Cheesy
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Chris Cole
Community Veteran

If I were you I would take a look and see if you can find similar probs at the ZA forum:-http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs
If you can't find the same prob, then it would certainly be the best place to ask for help imo! Wink

If I were you I would uninstall and then reinstall to see if that helps. (Unless you allready did this of course). Maybe even try rolling back to an older version.

Best of luck Smiley