cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of mapped drives in XP

N/A

I have 2000 server running on an HP proliant with four XP clients. The XP clients all use simple file sharing. The server runs Zone Alarm.
Until recently, I had an ISDN internet connection that was installed on one of the clients and shared using XP's internet connection sharing. This meant that the dhcp was handled by this machine as you can't run a separate dhcp server as well as ICS. The server stays powered all the time but the clients are switched off every evening. My problem was that the clients would often lose the mapped drives on the server (the red X would appear on the icon) and my file copying / backup software would report an error.
The event viewer on the server frequently mentioned an inability to obtain an IP address because of a lack of dhcp server and I took this to mean the period of time when the ICS machine was switched off.

I now have plusnet ADSL and the dhcp is looked after by the Binatone router so I imagined my problems would go away as it is powered all of the time but they haven't.
Is it normal to have a server without a static IP and if I had a static IP would my problems go away? Can I have static IP's on my network and still have access to the router for ADSL?

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Sad
7 REPLIES
N/A

Surely your server MUST have a static IP address!
N/A

Well I would have thought so to but with my ISDN install I couldn't if I wanted the server to have access to the shared internet connection.
So my question was can I now have static IP's with the machines that are behind the Binatone router.....but thanks anyway :?
N/A

Assuming your Binatone router performs NAT and can do Port Forwarding, I would certainly give all servers and clients behind the router a static IP address. I always use static IP addresses for small networks, if you install and/or use DHCP it's just one more thing to go wrong with your network. (Of course DHCP makes sense for large networks).
N/A

In thoery, they should ahve worked with ICS.

Sharing is performed using the computers netbios name, rather than IP address. So even on a change, after a few seconds of timeout, the new IP should be picked up and used.

Scarapping all existance of ICS is a must though.
N/A

Just because there is a red cross it doesnt mean its not there. Often the cross is there but if you click on it then it comes back to life ok. The cross just means it has not been verified. If you are using some backup software that needs the maped drive active run a batch file to do a dir first this will dormaly bring it back alive.
N/A

simple file sharing is an open sore to the net....i'd suggest putting on proper network file sharing....i've seen proper network share violated cause one of the computer was running simple file sharing...weird it was but i did spot it.

i understand the need for ics when using the isdn but not the adsl router..you wont need it there....uninstall it.

you can have static ip's with your network, no problem. just ensure that the router isnt behaving like a dhcp or name your ip's above the auto assigning dhcp ip list.

you need to release the old ipconfig that you had. thats what is causing the errors....xp and 2k tend to hang onto the original ip config's until released. i forgot the method right now but im sure i can find it if you need it.

use the routers ip as the gateway and plusnet's dns as the dns in each cards setting.

you can use your server to run whatever you like but it will be just another item on the network....so ensure it isnt acting as a dhcp host.

whatever you do, dont go trying out IIS right now as it has too many holes in it....

finally, ensure you flush the dialup isdn stuff too....
N/A

Thanks for all of your responses. Much appreciated. I'd already removed all traces of ICS prior to ADSL and will now try static IP's. I'll also heed your warning over simple file sharing.
I'll get back to you with the results once I'm done.

Thanks