cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to buy a web cam any suggestions, anyone.

N/A

Looking to buy a web cam any suggestions, anyone. The one that I like up to now is the Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 at £41 don't want to spend any more. Any ideas would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Read the box very carefully and check the native resolution of the camera sensor.
Logitech are well known for over stating the resolution, by only printing the maximum interoperated resolution on the box.

For example I have a Logitech QuickCam Express, the box states 640 x 480, but it uses the ICM-535B CIF Image Sensor. Resolution 352 x 288. (See my webcam for a sample picture, www.chillypenguin.org/webcam )

At the same time I also bought a PC-Line notebook webcam for £5, and it gave a much better picture.

If you want a technical comparison of different webcams take a look at this page;
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/molyned/web-cameras.htm

If possible go for a CCD sensor over CMOS, generally Philips webcams get good write-ups.

Chilly
N/A

While we are on the subject of webcams....... is there any benifit to gained from running a firewire webcam on a Windows machine.Do you get better frame rates etc.

My only guide is the "isight" firewire camera on my Mac running at 20-30 fps but not sure if (and no offense meant) Windows gains anything by the use of a firewire camera.
N/A

If you have a PS2 with the Eye Toy Camera, then there are drivers avalible NOW that can allow you to use it as a plug and play webcamera, am using it atm, works well
Community Veteran

Got two of them quite cheaply. One from Maplins at about £17 is and one from our local supermarket at £13
Both work fine but I think the Maplins one has slightly better definition.
N/A

Eye Toy has 640 x 480 resolutionruns at 30 frames per second
N/A

Webcam Ideas

I used to own a variety of Logitechs , but over a year ago bought a Creative Live Pro USB2 Web Camera, though originally around the £60 mark you can get them around £29-£56 mark if you shop around a bit or use sites like froogle/pricerunner/kelkoo. I use the video conferencing software CU World and get excellant framerates (30fps) and crystal clear pictures. My friend also has the same cam but connected using a USB(USB1) connection and achieves fast and clear picture.
Creative Link Below :
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=218&subcategory=219&product=10450
Also for a few quid more is the Ultra version and for about £20 more the
New Live Motion Webcam with vertical / horizontal tracking.
Hope helps.
Tyke