cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Wireless Networking advice.

N/A

Can anybody help - in a bit of a quandary. We have recently installed broadband (ain't it wonderful?). We have two puters one desktop and one lap-top - Windows XP on both. We wish to connect both computers to the net simultaneously (desk-top is always on). There is a PCI modem on desk-top. We wish to connect the 2 puters with a wireless connection (enuff wires about the house already). We have Norton Internet Security 2004 installed and enabled. However, we have been advised that there is a security disadvantage to wireless networking as the radio signal can be casually picked up, thus making us vulnerable to any burke within a I/2 mile radius of our home. Should we be worried by this and would it be sensible to ditch the wireless connection and hardwire instead? Any help will be mush preshiated. :?:
3 REPLIES
N/A

Is a wireless network less secure that a wired one? Yes.

Does that matter on a home network? Probably not.

I've no data worth stealing, my network is "closed" (i.e., it doesn't broadcast its name), only allows connections from known PCs and has WEP (encryption) enabled. None of those hurdles are insurmountable but it'll stop people "casually" connecting.

If someone is prepared to spend somewhere between a few hours and a few days to get in to your network (which is what it'd take to get through my precautions), they'll get in whatever kind of network you have.

--> Stephen
N/A

WEP encryption has been hacked (and what hasn't) but you'll need to be a pretty capable hacker to get into somebody's
network and what serious hacker would bother with your's
or my network, it would be like the great train robbers trying
to rob the local corner shop. Lol. Seriously though,
there are quite a few tricks you can do with wireless just
as wired to prevent and put off hackers.Like changing SSID and
relocating the files.
At least get gear which has WEP encryption. If your sticking
with internet connection sharing, microsoft have released some
networking updates.
A better and safer solution than ICS is getting a router.
A combined modem/router such as Netgears DG834G has
all the latest security features and advanced firewall and
would make your network almost invisible. You would also
get better performance because the main pc would use up
far less resources and you could surf without it having to be on.
I wouldn't be put off going wireless, but I'd pay close attention
to setting up all the security features just as you've done
with your current set up.
N/A

Thanks fella's - things are much clearer now - we are going to have lenghthy discussions which will include your advice. I've only just realized that I put this on the wrong board - it should have been on the Internet Security one - thanks for not mentioning it and replying anyways, like I said your help is mush preshiated. Cheesy