cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Shutdown time on XP (SP1)

laurian
Dabbler

Does anyone have any good ideas/techniques for diagnosing the cause of long shutdown times in XP? It takes about 5-6 minutes to shutdown. It's a fully patched (with the excpetion of SP2!) and my only clue is that I installed "VideoStudio 8" from ULEAD and I think that it happened then. I remember emailing ULEAD on this but despite a few emails they never responded.

Any advice on this would be useful.

Thanks,

Ian Fidler
5 REPLIES
N/A

it could be that a service is hanging when you try to reboot. go to start -> run and type services.msc and disable the ones you do not need to see if this has an effect

buz
the_norris
Grafter

Installing this util from Microsoft might help - User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displa...

Has helped in my case - also use it at work too.

Edit: TIP - best to use the MSI installer. Download and run like a normal EXE file.
N/A

You need to tweak the registry settings for:

"Hung Application Timeout"

"Wait to Kill Application Timeout"

"Wait to Kill Service Timeout"

Search for them in the registry and set the values to 1 sec, 1 sec and 2 secs respectively.

Alternatively download Cacheman XP and tweak it from there if you don't like editting the registry.
N/A

Search for them in the registry and set the values to 1 sec, 1 sec and 2 secs respectively.

I think the values are in 1000ths of a second, so the values should be 1000, 1000 and 2000?Huh
holdtight
Grafter

the values are in 1000ths of a second

and its
"HungAppTimeout" and "Wait ToKillAppTimeout"