cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux supported WiFi PC Card

N/A

Hi,
Anybody got any recommendations for a PC Card (PCMCIA) wireless adaptor that has good linux driver support?

Cheers,
David
4 REPLIES
N/A

Try this list here
N/A

Atmel chip based wifi cards are OK, but look in /var/log/messages for the URL to download the firmware
N/A

Re: Linux supported WiFi PC Card

Hi,
Anybody got any recommendations for a PC Card (PCMCIA) wireless adaptor that has good linux driver support?

Depends if you want 802.11g compatibility. If you do, the atmel chipset ones work OK.

I have a Netgear WG511, but it only works using ndiswrapper to use the Windows drivers. You can't use kismet or airsnort if you do this, so I can't really recommend it.

If you're not bothered about 802.11g, try an Orinoco based card - these are cheap and plentiful and don't have compatibility issues for most people. They also have an external aerial connector. Also consider the Cisco Aironet 350's. They're good too.
N/A

Always look at the chip details. I have a cheap OEM Atmel based USB card running on my FreeBSD / Linux box no problems and no need for a driver wrapper. Had to download firmware stuff though but was simple.

Point is my rubbish no make card is the same as the Netgear card i also have and the only difference is price