Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux sound problem

Denzil
Grafter

Linux sound problem

Hi all,

I have a Shuttle SK41G with a VIA AC97 sound chipset on the motherboard, and run Suse 9.1 Linux (although WXP is installed as well). The problem is I can't get a microphone to work. I have fiddled with volumes and other settings, but with no effect. I know the chipset and mic is OK because I can record from it in Windows.

I could just buy a supported PCI soundcard for a few quid, but it seems a waste not to use a working chipset. Presumably it is a driver issue, anybody know about this?
12 REPLIES
jabb0
Grafter

Linux sound problem

Ive still got my L plates up as far as linux goes, started out with Ubuntu but had similar problems.

Try fiddling around with alsamixer, if you have got it. Also there was some talk on the *nix forums about digital input and output levels messing things up.

hope this helps
Denzil
Grafter

Linux sound problem

I had already found a mixer, saw the mic volume was zero and thought I'd cracked it. Didn't make any difference! Thanks anyway.
Community Veteran

Linux sound problem

N/A

Linux sound problem

1st thing I would suggest : upgrade to Open SuSE 10. You can easily find a dvd or the 5 cd attached to one of the Linux magazine of this month.

Then start yast and download all the most recent updates. And I am almost sure it will work. You can then start playing with alsaconf and try some lsmod to check which modules (oss or alsa) are loaded. Use kmix under KDE to select the microphone for input (pale red at the bottom and dark green at the top of the microphone line).

And as a last step (when your sound system seems to work) you can use wengo or gnomemeeting to adjust it on a test number.
Denzil
Grafter

Linux sound problem

Its a VIA chipset, details on the sound seem to be a bit hazy, there is mention of Realtek, although that could just be codecs. I tried to run alsamixer anyway but nothing happened. Then tried KAMix, but got an error message

"Direct access to sound device not possible.
No soundcard available or sound support not configured yet. However the application uses or requires sound support."

Tried to configure with YAST but got the same message afterwards. There is no problem with playing sound, its just the microphone. I'll keep an eye out for Suse 10, could be worth an upgrade anyway.
Community Veteran

Linux sound problem

Realtek is your Ethernet (Network) controller.
Denzil
Grafter

Linux sound problem

Nope, well, yes, OK, but I found this somewhere.

"Six-channel AC'97 codec Realtek ALC 650 with SPDIF in- and output support"

If it helps.
Community Veteran

Linux sound problem

Well, well... I was not aware they did sound chips as well. :roll:
jabb0
Grafter

Linux sound problem

And not very linux compatoble ones at that - i ended up using a terratec sound card instead of myonboard sound, was just alot less hassle.
Denzil
Grafter

Linux sound problem

I would have preferred to get the built in sound working, but a new compatible card would be the pragmatic solution. Oh, well. Thanks guys.
lockettpots
Grafter

Linux sound problem

I had the same problem with AC97 and the mic when I installed Mandriva 2006. Found the problem was Kmix hijacking the sound card. Fixed it by configuring Kmix to suspend after 30 secs of inactivity and waiting 30secs before using the mic. I use Audacity for the recording by the way.

John
Denzil
Grafter

Linux sound problem

Thanks for that. I'd try it but it has all gone horribly wrong! KAmix gives the error message above and doesn't run. I tried deleting and reinstalling the sound via YAST but then got another error message telling me the driver could not be loaded. So now I have no sound at all.

I have ordered a new Biostar 210V barebones, partly because the bus speed of the Shuttle FX41 is slower than the CPU (Athlon XP3200) and memory, so the 210V should let everything run at full speed. It also has a different sound chipset (C-Media) which seems to be better supported.

So I shall wait until that turns up and have another go!