cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux for a complete beginner

LiamM
Grafter

Right, I am completely new to Linux in that I have never installed / used it myself. Our server runs Red Hat at work and all I know how to use that, but to start using it myself at home is seeming a bit daunting. I wan't to have a go however.

a) What is the best version to go for? Ease of use / Compatibility etc..
b) Is it free? (Sorry if thats a silly question)
c) What can or can you not run on Linux, you can't run Windows software I'm guessing?
d) How easy is it going to be to get online / firewalled with my Netgear router?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
48 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Linux for a complete beginner

Right, I am completely new to Linux in that I have never installed / used it myself. Our server runs Red Hat at work and all I know how to use that, but to start using it myself at home is seeming a bit daunting. I wan't to have a go however.

a) What is the best version to go for? Ease of use / Compatibility etc..
b) Is it free? (Sorry if thats a silly question)
c) What can or can you not run on Linux, you can't run Windows software I'm guessing?
d) How easy is it going to be to get online / firewalled with my Netgear router?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

a) EEEK: Questions like this can cause wars you know Wink I'd say go with SUSE or Mandrake.

b) Free if you download it

c) You can use wine to run some windows prog's - depends on what you want to run.

d) Simple. Just set the gateway for the linux box to be the router.
LiamM
Grafter

Can you run MSN, or connect to MSN using another prog (e.g. Trillian) using Linux?

I'm downloading Red Hat at the moment and also Gentoo. At least I think I'm downloading the right files, there were so many to choose from.
N/A

1) use gentoo -- it may have a bad stigma for being hard to install but they provide step by step how to on the site so its really easy

AMSN // GAIM can serve you fully for the messenger (AMSN just does msn , GAIM does all of them)

IRSSI // XCHAT for IRC

Firefox // thunderbird for web and mail

good luck and if you have any probs feel free to msg me or sommit Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

OK. I'm having a nightmare installing Gentoo. I have downloaded a 650Mb ISO file called "install-x86-universal-2005.0.iso" which I have burned and have booted from.

If I boot from it, I am eventually given the prompt :
livecd root #

And now I have no idea what to do. The Installation instructions seem far too baffling and I've been trying for about an hour with no luck. Any ideas?
Damfoose
Grafter

Ahh looks like you picked up a live CD version .... Try typing this ( start X) this should bring up a gui
N/A

Hi Liam,

Try Fedora Core 4, free from the peeps behind Redhat. I've been using it for a while now, and I rarely touch windows.

I've got a few links for some good installation guides, which detail how to get up and running, what to install etc.

Buzz, Gentoo is not for the first timer to Linux, it's way to involved. People need something with most things installed.

Cheers,

Aaron
LiamM
Grafter

I agree, Gentoo is far too involved.

I'm currently downloading Fedora Core 4, but even on my 2Mb it's not going to be finished tonight. Do you need all discs ready? Because disc 1 is nearly finished and I'm eager to get something installed.

Am I really going to be able to abandon Windows?
N/A

To be honest, I have all but ditched windows. I can do everything I want in Linux and it's quicker to load, no spyware, few viruses.

Stanton-finley Install Notes Fedora Core 4

MJM Wired Install Notes Fedora Core 4

If you use the first one, that will get you most of the way, the second one I included as it's also pretty good. If you get any problems, read the comment section on the first one as this will probably give you the answers. Anything else and I'll try to help.

You can download a DVD version as well, this is what I used.

Best to wait till you've downloaded the lot, since you'll probably need all of the disks.
LiamM
Grafter

I am downloading from this mirror as it seems to be the fastest :

http://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/fedora/4/i386/iso/

So I could get the DVD version instead.

However, whats the difference between the files with "SRPMS" in the filename, and those without? I've been downloading the ones without.
N/A

um.. er...

stage 3 install of gentoo.. you have to

Fdisk your drive (wow you have to do that anyway)

you have to update your portage tree, you have to do that anyway, and er.. yea thats about it, oh you have to compile your kernal,, or get it made for you using genkernal so um?? where is it too hard? i have just finished installing stage 1 builds on 10 boxen so i may be biased but Stage 3 is a pile of piss.

buz
N/A

Liam,

It's probably easier to find the bit torrent DVD version from their site, just download it and burn it to disk.

You want the i386 version, whether that be bit torrent or FTP Version

Cheers,

Aaron
LiamM
Grafter

It's the i386 version I am downloading, but if you click that link above to the mirror site, there are two lots of disks. I'm downloading the DVD also now anyway.

Is Fedora pretty easy to setup. I need a GUI and a wizard, not a prompt.
N/A

oh, then yea i guess your cant use Gentoo then , as it installs via a command line,

however, if you look at :::

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=1

it will tell youall you need step by step, the first thing is:

(do not type the bits with # before them)

start SSHd (so you can use putty to login remotly and set itup that way)

/etc/init.d/sshd start #starts SSHd
ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.2 #Sets your ip to 10.10.10.2(use what ever ip you want)
route add default gw 10.10.10.1 #sets default gw to 10.10.10.1
passwd #use this to set a root password (needed to login remotly)

now set up your disks::

fdisk /dev/hda

to load fdisk up so you can format the hard drive, then

p

to show what partitions you have

d
X
d
Y
d
Z

to delete partions , where XYZ are the partion numbers.

then
n
p
enter
+32M
enter
n
p
enter
+512m
enter
t
n
p
enter
enter
w

and thats ur disks setup Smiley

now continue from chapter 4

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4

you have to type // copy paste some commands, but it wont take that long, btw since that doc was done the r3 is now r4 (just to say if you are using the package i was)

also use ext3 on /dev/hda1 (boot) and /dev/hda3 (main partion) as its fast and nice.

Buz

PS really, gentoo rules, please try it and dont be put off by the way you have to install it(its part of the fun ^_^)
N/A

Fedora has a gui install program, so no worries there but it's worth performing the disk check the first time.