Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux firewalls

holdtight
Grafter

Linux firewalls

Hi Mike
As a starter i would recommend trying out smoothwall or ipcop both are free and linux based personally i prefer smoothwall although theres not much between them as they are both designed by the same people

Download the iso image and burn it to CD then boot from it on your system of choice which doesnt have to be anything special around 200mhz upwards with 64 - 128mb ram and two nic cards

then its just a matter of configuring it through the web interface which is really easy and works a treat, once done you can remove the monitor and use it as a standalone hardware firewall

theres a huge amount of smoothwall users and a dedicated forum should you get stuck or have any questions theres also loads of info on installation and configuration to read

once youve done this and seen how easy and reliable it is then have a go at the first option of overlaying a firewall onto a linux distro but you wont go far wrong with SW

Bill.
11 REPLIES
madswitcher
Grafter

Linux firewalls

Hi all

I fancy building myself a Linux-based firewall on a stand-alone machine as usefull excercise.

Two options seem to be available:
(1) build a Linux machine and then overlay a firewall.

(2) get a pre-built firewall/distribution/image that boots off a cd and then play around configuring it.

So, any thoughts on the best/easiest way to go.

Cheers, Mike
N/A

Linux firewalls

Hmm,

I wonder is there a software based firewall available for the FC4 version which by default could leave a external port open by default for installation, until the configuration had been completed?

Just a thought.

Regards,
holdtight
Grafter

Linux firewalls

Good point to which i dont have an answer, i do have fedora C4 but not
done much with it yet

Anyone ?Huh
N/A

Linux firewalls

The only reason I ask this is because looking at some servers a little while back I noticed that a firewall is something rarely mentioned.
On the few that do mention it the prices are expensive and on the rest they list it as an extra. The cheapest I have found it as an extra is at $99 setup and then $50 per month!!

Thats robbery in my eyes.

The only accessI have to the server is SSH and also CP or WHM, so basically I need a port open (web based config and port 80 left open perhaps??) so that it can be configured remotely.

Regards,
N/A

Linux firewalls

OpenBSD and pf is supposed to have a nice easy learning curve.
Personally I use FreeBSD and ipfw, but I've been using that for years now and I can't remember what the start of the curve was like. That and I was learning unix at university at the same time, so it kinda all got learnt at once.
N/A

Linux firewalls

openbsd FTW -- just install it, install iptables and your away -- will run on any hardware ever
madswitcher
Grafter

Linux firewalls

Thanks folks

Looks like Smoothwall is a good starter for 10 to play with. Nice little learn and play project.

Kind regards, Mike
Rich
Grafter

Linux firewalls

ClarkConnect is also worh playing around with. This is a firewall installation that can include Cups (Print Server), SAMBA, Email, Web Server, Intrusion Detection etc etc etc.

Richard.
N/A

Linux firewalls

For an all in one distro, along the lines of Clark, I really can't recommend SME server from http://www.contribs.org

Never used Clark, although I have read about it and will more than likely have a tinker with it at some stage in the future.

For a standard FW distro, SW is probably as comprehensive and user friendly as you will ever find.
madswitcher
Grafter

Linux firewalls

Just to let folks know how this went.

I had a play with all of the suggestions, plus a couple more and ended up using Endian - nice and neat running on an AMD 2600+ Barton with a 30 G disc, a couple of NICs and 512M of RAM.

Works like a dream and have downloaded the Snort rules for IDS after a subscription.

So thanks for all the suggestions

Have a good Christmas break

Mike
N/A

Linux firewalls

in the case of Fedora 4, which is what I use. I use firestarter as a firewall, and it overlays Iptables which is built in, but gives you windows like level of control and interace to the firewall.

Another one would be guarddog, just search under linux + guarddog. Guarddog is simple a grapphic config tool for Iptables but it's good.