cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux driver for Voyager 105

N/A

I've just installed Suse 9.2 and would like to use my broadband with it! Should I wait until I get a proper router, or can the USB modem be made to work?

TIA, James
6 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Try this link for some information.

www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/334061

It is probably not worth spending a lot of time on it if it doesn't work first time. USB modems are dependent on drivers. Many manufacturers don't supply drivers for Linux, so it is up to enterprising individuals to write their own.

Much better to buy a router as they pretty much always work as they use a standard hardware-independent protocol (TCP/IP). Something decent with a firewall capability as well can be had for about £40 upwards.
aeroalfie
Grafter

hi, i have the Ubuntu live CD and the same modem - seems some people have got it working, all the codes and settings and stuff twist my melon :shock: i can't even get a floppy disk to open in Ubuntu :?
Denzil
Grafter

Might be a limitation of the Live CD, unless its a USB floppy drive which needs a driver. If you have got enough hard drive space it is best to install Linux onto the hard drive. Any decent Linux distribution will set it up for you so you can decide whether to boot into Linux or Windows when you switch on.

Most hardware is well supported in Linux. In general, standard things like floppy drives, CD/DVD drives, routers, serial port modems, common printers etc will work fine. Most problems seem to occur with devices that need proprietory drivers (like some winmodems) and where they are either fairly uncommon or the manufacturer does not release any details to allow programmer types to write their own Linux drivers.
N/A

Many thanks all. I'm tempted to buy a router to simplify things, as I'm a bit new to all this, and I would be stuck if the Voyager drivers didn't work! Of course, it should appear simpler after a few beers... :-)
kwhawell
Grafter

how do I make this work then guys? got bt voyager 105 driver .tgz file, but no idea how to extract it let alone how to make configure, totally new to linux by the way, just in the process of fixing it to work with 2 floppys see my other post for that.
can you give exact instructions step by step on how to get this up and running? please?
many thanks,
Kristian.
Denzil
Grafter

if you are using KDE then simply right click on the file and click "unpack to" and choose a folder (Gnome is probably the same). How to install it depends on how they have packaged it. There is usually a readme file in there that will explain how. If you are lucky there will be a .rpm, in which case click it and it should ask you for your root password and then install it. Otherwise you may have to compile it from a command prompt, which can sometimes be difficult.

Look for the readme first.