cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux: PPP Update Problem

Firejack
Grafter

Hi all. I'm trying to update to PPP-2.4.3 on my machine (Suse 9.2 pro). When I attempt to build the source to install I get the following messages and nothing is installed.
rhea:/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3 # make install
cd chat; make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/chat'
mkdir -p /usr/local/sbin
install -s -c chat /usr/local/sbin
install -c -m 644 chat.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/chat'
cd pppd/plugins; make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd/plugins'
install -d /usr/local/lib/pppd/2.4.3
install minconn.so passprompt.so passwordfd.so winbind.so /usr/local/lib/pppd/2.4.3
for d in rp-pppoe pppoatm radius; do make -w -C $d install; done
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd/plugins/rp-pppoe'
install -d -m 755 /usr/local/lib/pppd/2.4.3
install -s -c -m 4550 rp-pppoe.so /usr/local/lib/pppd/2.4.3
install -d -m 755 /usr/local/sbin
install -s -c -m 555 pppoe-discovery /usr/local/sbin
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd/plugins/rp-pppoe'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd/plugins/pppoatm'
install -c -m 4550 pppoatm.so /usr/local/lib/pppd/2.4.3
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd/plugins/pppoatm'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd/plugins/radius'
install -s -c -m 755 radius.so /usr/local/lib/pppd/2.4.3
install -s -c -m 755 radattr.so /usr/local/lib/pppd/2.4.3
install -s -c -m 755 radrealms.so /usr/local/lib/pppd/2.4.3
install -c -m 444 pppd-radius.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8
install -c -m 444 pppd-radattr.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd/plugins/radius'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd/plugins'
cd pppd; make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd'
mkdir -p /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/share/man/man8
install -s -c -m 555 pppd /usr/local/sbin/pppd
if chgrp pppusers /usr/local/sbin/pppd 2>/dev/null; then \
chmod o-rx,u+s /usr/local/sbin/pppd; fi
install -c -m 444 pppd.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd'
cd pppstats; make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppstats'
mkdir -p /usr/local/share/man/man8
install -s -c pppstats /usr/local/sbin
install -c -m 444 pppstats.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppstats'
cd pppdump; make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppdump'
mkdir -p /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/share/man/man8
install -s -c pppdump /usr/local/sbin
install -c -m 444 pppdump.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppdump'
cd pppd; make install-devel
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd'
mkdir -p /usr/local/include/pppd
install -c -m 644 ccp.h chap-new.h ecp.h fsm.h ipcp.h ipxcp.h lcp.h magic.h md5.h patchlevel.h pathnames.h pppd.h upap.h eap.h md4.h chap_ms.h sha1.h pppcrypt.h tdb.h spinlock.h /usr/local/include/pppd
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/ppp/ppp-2.4.3/pppd'
Once I downloaded the source files I did the normal ./configure and then make followed by dropping to my root account to do the final make install. No idea why its not working. I've checked I have all the requirements for the PPP package. Any ideas would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The output looks fine and is not reporting any errors.

Do any of the installed directories exist? Check each of the lines that say install and see if they have been created.

Can you tell where your current version of ppp is actually being run from. It may be from /usr/bin rather than where your source is installed to (/usr/local/bin) and your paths may have /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin so it will always run the old one, rather than the new.

If you type whereis pppd at the prompt. what does it return?

Often souce installs don't install in the same place as the original binary installs if the package is part of the base OS. You could try looking for a suse binary package (I think it uses RPMs). It's been a long while since I used a suse system or updated one.
Firejack
Grafter

Suse do use RPM's. Couldn't find one for PPP though. There were unofficial ones but I'm really cautious about using them as i've had bad experiences of user made RPM's before :?
Anyway.. I seem to of got it working. I deleted everything and started again by downloading the source files once more. Problem now is when I type ppp --version I get PPP is version 2.4.2 not 2.4.3 - which I need.
Got PPP from www.samba.org/ppp after following a link on another forum after a Google search. Hmmmm
Community Veteran

What does the whereis ppp give you. I suspect it shows multiple locations for the binary.

It looks like it is finding the original ppp earlier in the PATH list so it will always use that one as I explained earlier.

Using a generic source tarball and configure will often compile into /usr/local/... whereas a distribution will have the same file in /bin or /usr/bin which will be earlier in your PATH variable.

You might need to uninstall the ppp that was installed with Suse so it picks up the /usr/local version.
Firejack
Grafter

Now I'm following. Just like you say the existing version is installed in /usr/sbin and the new version in /usr/local/sbin

Is there any clever way to change the PATH of all the packages which need to PPP over to the new version without needing to erase the old package?
I ask because I'm upgrading the machine remotely and don't want to un-install PPP as that will bring down my connection and I won't be able to reconnect until the new PPP package is working. Or is it simply a matter of removing the existing PPP package and everything will automatically switch over to the new version?

Quickly trying to erase PPP-2.4.2. Suse is saying 2 other packages depend on this package to work. Should I force the removal?

Thanks again Peter Smiley
Community Veteran

It all depends on where the Linux startup scripts expect to find the ppp files.

I'm a bit rusty with Suse but try the find the startup script - on fedora it's in /etc/rc.d/init.d and look for the ppp or pppd scripts. Look in there to see if it sets up any paths for finding the programs - it probably uses default paths. If it does, try changing to point to /usr/local/bin first. But even doing this could cause it to fail to start if it relies on othr non-ppp files to be started from /usr/bin.

However, this is likely to be dangerous over a ppp link and any single mistake could result in ppp no longer working and you not having access to the PC anymore.

This kind of change needs to be proven on a test box so mistakes can be spotted and fixed easily. I do not recommend doing any changes to PPP over a ppp link.