Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux FTP help needed

glyndev
Grafter

Linux FTP help needed

Here is one for the Linux bods.

I have set up a server using Fedora 6 and need to set up FTP for fellow members of the local model railway club. But want to restrict them solely to the folder I have set aside for club use.

How do I set the restriction in place ?.

Thanks
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Linux FTP help needed

What FTP server package are you using?

Do you require the members to login to access the folder?

Does each member need a separate login name/pass?

Please explain how the members will gain access this folder.
glyndev
Grafter

Linux FTP help needed

Hi Peter

I am using the vsftpd server daemon.

The members will be required to login to the server, each with individual username and password.

I want to restrict them to the specific folder and subfolders and stop them getting out of "/home/barnsleymrc" into "/home" and moveing around the rest of the computer.

The folder is not solely for the use of club members it will be a part of the club website and will also be accessible by people surfing the net (but NOT by ftp). A couple of members write webpages and others write other articles and we need a location that they can deposit this data/info so that it is immediately accessible to other club members and the public.

Thanks for your help
glyndev
Grafter

Linux FTP help needed

It's ok. Found a couple of tutorials, followed them but could not getr the daemon to restart after altering the config file Sad .

Tried Pureftp instead. A lot easier to configure and it seems to be working like a dream at the moment. But time will tell Cheesy.

Now to start with MySQL, Mailman and a mail server :?.

Thanks.
Community Veteran

Linux FTP help needed

It may be easier to use a server focus Linux distribution, such as www.smeserver.org
Rather than trying to set one up from scratch.

Chilly