cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Connectivity

N/A

Linux Connectivity

Anyone out there been able to connect their linux system to ADSL through the standard USB modem?
I would like help in doing this if anyone knows how or can point me in the right direction.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Linux Connectivity

The Binatone ADSL 500 is not compatible with current *nix versions and many have tried and failed to get it working. The Linux drivers supplied only work with RedHat v7 and not with the later versions and kernels and Binatine have not bothered to update the drivers.

Ditch it and get an external Ethernet based ADSL modem router and if necessary an Ethernet card for your PC and you can then connect any type of system to ADSL and it will work with any current and future Linux versions.

A cheap one is the ebuyer ASR8400 (actually an origo ASR8400), or one with more features is the Netgear DG834. Both are 4 port routers with inbuilt ADSL modems and a hardware firewall. There are others but they are the ones I would recommend.
N/A

Linux Connectivity

I don't recall my usb modem being a Binatone (unless it is rebadged) I will hav e to check this.
I was rather hoping not going down the line of spending moe money for a router but thanks anyway..
Brian
Community Veteran

Linux Connectivity

The standard USB modem that PlusNet supply is the Binatone ADSL 500. It was previously a 2 light version which was changed in Jan to the newser 3 light version. In June it was changed to a BT Voyager 105 but I'm assuming you have the Binatone. If you have had it over a year then it may be the Dynamode.

See ADSL: Choosing your ADSL Equipment or Broadband ADSL Starter Pack Setup Guide.

In any case none of the USB modems work with with recent Linux versions because USB modem support tends to be limited to a few US based products..
N/A

Linux Connectivity

Thanks Peter
Saves me some time. It is a Dynamode modem.
Brian
N/A

Linux Connectivity

I bought the Binatone ADSL 500 supplied by plusnet because plus claim to be linux-friendly. I was pleased to find a driver on the CD but not at all pleased to learn it doesn't work and everyone but me knows this. Not knowing it I unpacked the source, tweaked it a bit to get it to compile so I got a module e2.o but after
insmod e2.o
ifconfig hsb0 up
I got the error 'SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable' so I reckon I got pretty close. Is there really no hope it could be got working from here? What about /accessrunner/cxacru.tar.bz2 from sourceforge? has anyone got that working?

Tony Sumner
Community Veteran

Linux Connectivity

To be honest, you will be wasting your time, especially when new kernel major releases arrive which may possible have different driver interfaces making the one you may have working now fail.

You are better to do as I suggested above and invest in an external Ethernet modem and connect it via a Network card. The drivers for the common net cards will always be available for future *nix versions so you should not have problems if you change *nix versions or even switch back to windows or even Macs.

You can get perfectly adequate ADSL modem/routers for about £30.
zpeterk
Grafter

Linux Connectivity

Go ethernet- I am not linux expert but every "adverture" I've had on a spare partition internet connectivity was easy and worked straight from initial setup.
own ip
gateway ip (Same range)
and dns ips
N/A

Linux Connectivity

Thanks Peter, I am sure you are right.

Tony