cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys AG041 DNS problems.

N/A

I use the Linksys AG041 ASDL Gateway to connect to the internet and I keep having problems with the DNS.

Im 100% sure its the hardware thats the problem as when surfing becomes unavailable it happens on all 3 of my pc's.

Now, the router to set to act as DHCP. My PC is set in the windows TCP/IP settings to use ip settings I manually set. But the other 2 pcs are set to automatically obtain from the DHCP.

Everywhere I read about DNS problems it states I should try and set the DNS server manually within the router setup. However I don't seem to be able to do this as the option isn't available.

The problem occurs for about 5 minutes then the surfing continues as normal.

Below is a screenshot of my router setup page.

On my pc (manually set ips) the DNS is set to 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50

On the other 2 pcs (auto set ips) the DNS is automatically connecting to the same DNS servers.

Anyone got any clue why I keep losing the DNS connection?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES
N/A

are you sure it's the DNS dropping and not some other problem. Lots of problems can result in a problem accessing the internet. I used to use a netgear router that would simply block all outgoing connections after an hour or so of P2P usage. So the connection was there but nothing would happen
N/A

Im pretty sure as I can still download and talk on messenger. And from wha tIve read they are signs that its the dns.

Although I could be wrong.

Also, we don't download that much stuff either and never use P2P except for Napster music.
N/A

Next time it happens go to the command line and type these

nslookup google.com

nslookup bbc.co.uk

ping 72.14.207.99
ping <<address of the dns server>>

You might also want to ping your router and other machines too.

You should usually get some stuff back from this: if it is down to dns then I think the pings should work but the nslookups should fail with an error
N/A

Try setting th edns to the ip of the router as this often solves the problem.

Can you get on the router and ping from the router?
N/A

When browsing stops working I can ping the router but traceroute/ping for google and bbc time out.
N/A

Ok, I found out the problem.

Id read a few things about my current router and found out others have been having the same issue.

So I went and bought a linksys WAG354G and it works like a charm. Since I bought it Ive not had one problem!