cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking two PC's

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Linking two PC's

Following on from my Copying PST files, is it possible to connect my Old PC with my new one direct to copy over files?

I am having a nightmare with my CD- RW which keeps telling me 'Access is denied' when I try to copy files to a CD so is there a way to do it direct?
13 REPLIES
N/A

Linking two PC's

You can buy a crossover cable, e.g. this Belkin one from Amazon.
N/A

Linking two PC's

Are both computers connected to your internet connection via a router?

And what Windows versions are on the computers that you use?

You may be able to set up a network to 'share' files, and you can 'grab' them from your old computer onto your new computer via your new computer.

Craig
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Linking two PC's

Depending on how confident you are with the insides of computers, it would be simpler to take the hard disk out of the old computer and add it as a slave disk in the new computer. You can then simply copy from disk to disk. When all of the data has been transfered, just move the disk back (remember to change it back to a master drive) and you'll have two working computers again.

Cheers,
Kevin
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Linking two PC's

Are both computers connected to your internet connection via a router?

No

And what Windows versions are on the computers that you use?

Old - Me
New - XP

You may be able to set up a network to 'share' files, and you can 'grab' them from your old computer onto your new computer via your new computer.

Craig

Answers in bold.

Could I link using a cable such as suggested above
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Linking two PC's

Kevin,

I am reasonable OK with the inside, although having a nightmare with the CD drive at present (Thats why I am looking for alternatives).

Thought about your suggestion, but don't want to mess the drive up and it would be the first attempt at such a DIY exercise!
N/A

Linking two PC's

To link both computers, they would both need to have a Network adaptor with an RJ45 connection. This looks like a bigger version of the end of an ADSL cable.

You'd need a crossover cable, as Corfizz suggested, and then to set up a network through XP, and then ME.

Not entirely sure if this would work, Anyone able to shed light?

Craig
Alecto
Grafter

Linking two PC's

Just a thought - are the files too big to take across using a pen drive?
N/A

Linking two PC's

Seems like an appropriate topic to post in

Does anyone know why, when it switch on PC2 (both connect to internet by router) i get a error coming up on PC1

*there is a IP conflict with another computer on the network*

It happens when PC2 is already on and i switch PC1 on too. Any ideas? This cant be normal or good for my download speed :S
N/A

Linking two PC's

Clearly they've both been allocated the same IP address. You'll have to change one of them.
N/A

Linking two PC's

and how might i do that :/
N/A

click

First find your current settings by

click start, then run then type command, then press return

then type in the box that appears type in ipconfig /all

you are looking for

IP address: which will appear something like 192.168.0.2
Subnet address: probably something like 255.255.255.0
defaut gateway: which will likely be something like 192.168.0.1
DNS servers: (this might appear if you are using a router) again 192.168.0.1
Record these on paper then type exit (to close the window)

go to start settings then control panel

click network connections

you should see a item called local area connection (or similar)
right click then properties
click once on tcp/ip
then click the properties
fill in the details as above, but increment by one so it will be 192.168.0.3
your subnet and default gateway will be the same address as in the black dos prompt box

Do this again on the other machine but again increment the ip address by one so it will be something like 192.168.0.4
Again make sure your subnet and default gateway will be the same address as in the black dos prompt box

That way makes sure everytime you login in it will always be that number and you wont receive the same error
Superuser
Superuser

Linking two PC's

@goodall2k3

The precise method depends on your OS. You need to change the TCP/IP configuration details - these are found either through NETWORKS in control panel or CONNECT TO from the menu.

You do not metion any detail of your network set-up, but one is presuming that both machines have a hard-defined (manually assigned) IP address. You should try changing these to DHCP. If you do not have a DHCP server, windows should automatically assign "private" network IP addresses.

Whatever you do, write down all of the current settings before you make any changes.

Regards,
Kevin
Superuser
Superuser

Linking two PC's

@rourkefamily

If all else fails, PM me and I'll try to walk you through adding the HDD into your new machine. Its not hard and will be much quicker than any other method.

In short, you'll need to remove the HDD from the old machine. If in your new machine, the HDD and the CD are on two separate ribbon cables (I'm assuming that they are all IDE interface devices) then you could disconnect the CD and put the old HDD in its place. If both drives are connected to the same ribin cable, you will need to chnage the device selection jumper on the old disk to SLAVE. Then as above just connect the old HDD in place of the CD.

Regards,
Kevin