cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Like many others - a problem with Netgear DG834

N/A

Hi there. Like some others I have read, I am having real problems with the DG834. I have been through all the reset procedure, firmware upgrade etc. All the lights are on correctly and I am positive that I am using the correct username and password. The only question I have now relates to whether my laptop is recognising the router. In the "My Network Places" area I cannot see Netgear Router listed anywhere. I am not an expert on these things but any help would be appreciated.

thanks
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Try putting this in your browser window. It should get you the router
http://192.168.0.1/ and if things haven't changed it is user = admin and password = password
N/A

It doesn't sound as though the router is causing your problem. Presumably you have another PC which does communicate properly with the router, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to update the firmware, etc. Do you have normal internet access through that PC?

You didn't give much information, but I'm assuming that you left the router in its default mode, working as a DHCP server. All you should have to do with the laptop is make sure that's set up to get its IP and DNS addresses by DHCP.

Eric
N/A

Thanks for that. I have been able to get onto the router via the http address and have checked all the settings. The Netgear support staff have been very helpful but have not been able to resolve the problem. Thanks for your help though.
N/A

Roseway - thanks for that. I do not have another PC hence the confusion. I am using an Acer Aspire 2020 notebook and have been able to use that to upgrade the firmware to the router and go through the router set up routine. Intrigued by your suggestion about setting my laptop to get IP and DNS addresses by DHCP - how would I go about that? I am afraid that I am a bit of a newbie so all your help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Community Veteran

Start -> control panel -> network connections

Right click on your network connection (most likely called local area connection) and click properties.

Double click on the internet protocol (TCP/IP) option within the middle window

You should now see a new window. Make sure Obtain IP address automatcally and obtain DNS server address automatically are selected, then click OK and OK again.

Then right click on your network connection again and select stop, then do the same and select start. Your IP address assigned by the router should appear bottom left under details. This should be something like 192.168.0.2 and netmask 255.255.255.255, assigned by DHCP.

If you don't get an IP, reboot the router then your PC.
N/A

Cool - thanks for that petervaughan. I will try when I get back home and let you know. thanks for the help.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Can I make a couple of assumptions.
First - this is your first router and previously you used a USB or PCI modem
Second - you have a firewall, other than the windows XP one
If these are correct can you try disabling the firewall and see if that helps.
I suggest this as I had an identical problem setting up a system a few days ago where I could see the router OK but couldn't access the internet (Bloody Norton)
N/A

Re: Like many others - a problem with Netgear DG834

The only question I have now relates to whether my laptop is recognising the router. In the "My Network Places" area I cannot see Netgear Router listed anywhere.

The router is not a Windows server and (AFAICT) isn't running SMB so I would not expect to see it in "My Network Places". The interface to the router is via its built-in web server, which is over HTTP not UNC.

If you can ping the router (open a command prompt and try "ping 192.168.0.1") successfully, the router is up and responding. I'm assuming that you're using Windows 2000 or XP here. If you are, try typing "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt. The system should respond by giving you the IP address of every network interface installed on your computer, together with details of which servers it will use and which gateway. The gateway for the configured network card should be the router.

If all that checks out, the chances are that it's working OK.

HTH
N/A

Have you installed "Internet Gateway Discovery and control client" as well as UPnp User interface from Networking services in "Add windows components"?
D[/img]