cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level 3 Restrictions effecting Ports (utorrent)

N/A

Since about a week ago my utorrent has been crawling at all hours. Gone to check the port is open using the checking tool and all ports are coming up closed. Never had to forward ports in the past - it all worked perfectly.

Not installed anything in weeks, not downloaded anything, no system changes and now utorrent is screwed. Tried calling plusnet support and yeah...told 10 minute wait and finally hung up after 20 minutes.

All i can think is that because we have dl'd a lot this month and have gone into level 3 management restrictions, this has caused all ports to close.

Any ideas?
19 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Re: Level 3 Restrictions effecting Ports (utorrent)

All i can think is that because we have dl'd a lot this month and have gone into level 3 management restrictions, this has caused all ports to close.

Any ideas?

I'm puzzling over this from another thread on here somewhere. We aren't actively blocking those ports, or preventing forwarding or anything like that. It may be a side effect of the level 3 restrictions. Are you still seeing transfers (albeit slow) when on level 3? Upstream as well as downstream?
N/A

Nope...0 both down and up.

Utorrent has a port test tool and i can pick a random port each time it starts, or use a fixed port, but after about 30 tries it is never open regardless, and an icon highlights that utorrent has no incoming connections.

I have tested the line with plusnet and no problems, and repeat that nothing has changed on my pc - was working fine for weeks, now it is down. Have reinstalled utorrent - no change. Limewire also cannot seem to connect.

If this is not resolved then i will be leaving plusnet - i can understand the restrictions of throttling downloads but to close ports is too much. Also, the support i have got for this problem has been non-existent and trying to 'speak' to someone seems impossible.
N/A

by the way - could you point me to the other thread re. closed ports?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Nope...0 both down and up.

Utorrent has a port test tool and i can pick a random port each time it starts, or use a fixed port, but after about 30 tries it is never open regardless, and an icon highlights that utorrent has no incoming connections.

This is the application testing the machine that it's running on to see if the ports are open? Surely that would do it via localhost calls on your own network and not hit outside of your network into the internet and therefore be influenced by any traffic management?

Oh, I've just worked out why you think they are blocked, it's because of the Level 3 management. As quoted from the email that goes out when you hit level 3:

The highest level of restrictions will now apply to your connection. Large file downloads, through Usenet, peer-to-peer, and other file sharing applications will be blocked until the end of the current billing month.

I think the open ports thing is a red herring. I'm beginning to suspect that Azureus claims ports aren't being forwarded just because it's seeing lousy speeds. The other clients may be the same.
N/A

well, we'll soon see - my billing period is today so technically i should drop off level 3 management today/tommorrow - correct?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

After billing runs on your billing day, yes, provided you aren't in breach of this stuff:

Sustainable Usage Policy Guide
N/A

hmm..according to that if you breach peak time limites twice then restrictions are never lifted unless you upgrade!

So...assuming the fault with utorrent is due to level 3 restrictions then i have to upgrade to free it. But what are the chances that i upgrade, pay £5 more a month, and it doesnt fix a damn thing?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The SUP guideline stuff is based on making sure that you are using the correct product for your usage levels. If as a user, you start breaching the SUP guidelines, then we need you to upgrade to continue those levels of usage. It's then about matching the product you are buying with the level that you use it; i.e. products like Plus aren't designed for moderate to heavy P2P usage.

Upgrading to one of the other packages would increase your allowances, so you'd be able to download more. There are definitely reports of people being able to use p2p software to download stuff successfully on our service, especially so outside of peak hours.

I hope that helps!
N/A

Sure, i'm just not keen on upgrading to fix a problem when nobody at plusnet has confirmed the level 3 restrictions are the cause of the close (or apparently closed) ports.

Also, there seems to be some conflict within the usage emails - on one hand the policy linked above states restrictions will never be lifted unless user upgrades, while the email i have recieved states...

"The highest level of restrictions will now apply to your connection. Large file downloads, through Usenet, peer-to-peer, and other file sharing applications will be blocked until the end of the current billing month."

So it WILL end at the end of the billing period (today for me) and even more suspicious...

"Remember, we don't count any of your usage outside of peak hours, and the restrictions on speed only ever apply within peak-time."

Whereas with me the restrictions have been 24/7

Fun stuff!
N/A

danielpb78 - it was me that posted these threads.

I think I am having exactly the same problem as you. I am however, no where near my limit this month (Broadband Plus).

Peak usage: 1.03GB
Off-peak usage: 13.72GB
Total usage: 14.74GB

I have it scheduled only to run out of hours, so I actually go out of my way to respect the policy.

I am a developer - not a network person, so I dont truely understand some of the concepts I'm dealing with, so was still thinking something must be wrong with my Router set up or hardware.

I used to have problems like this with Tiscali and dumped them...

I have friends in the Glasgow area and they user plus net and are not having problems.

This is the one I gave specific problems about the problem I'm having - http://tinyurl.com/y983te

and this one I asked if admin were aware of any restrictions - http://tinyurl.com/sgy2h
N/A

PS - is there any way of knowing if level 3 restrictions have been placed on your account...?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Peak usage: 1.03GB
Off-peak usage: 13.72GB
Total usage: 14.74GB

I have it scheduled only to run out of hours, so I actually go out of my way to respect the policy.

I'll see if I can find out what's happening on this for you.
N/A

Re. level 3 restrictions - go to your usage on the plusnet control panel and if you have restrictions a '1 2 3' logo will appear top right indicating current level.