cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop reports Invalid system disk

DerekB
Grafter

Having decided to sell my toshiba 540cdt laptop (built in Cd - external floppy) I turned it on to delete old files and received the invalid system disk message.
It worked two days ago!

I connected the external floppy and tried to reboot with the win98 floppy but received the same message. Flopy drive whirred but that was all.

I had let the battery go flat and wonder whether the bios battery is flat.

I don't know how to get in to the bios - all I see is the Toshiba logo.

Any help appreciated

Derek
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Check Toshiba's online support at www.toshiba.co.uk, I always find it really handy for drivers and support info on the 2 laptops I have.
Never come across your type of problem though btw, but I'd be interested to know the cause if you find out.

Chris
DerekB
Grafter

Thanks for the thought about the Toshiba site - I can now get in to the bios which reports all OK but I still get the invalid system disk messgae which is usually due to a corrupted hard disk.

What I can't understand is why it won't start from the floppy Startup disk

Derek
N/A

To my understanding, all Toshibas come with the ability to boot from CD.

The Win98 (at least SE, don't know about FE) disk, is bootable, so you may wish to try that.

From memory, you can tap the F8 key to bring up a boot menu, that will allow you to select from Floop, HD, CD or network when booting.
N/A

Thought..... Can you put the floppy internal? i.e.e Remove teh CD, swap them around and put the floppy into the CD carrier? I seem to recollect a simialr issue on a probably much older Toshiba.. i.e. Would only boot from floppy if it was internal...

Regards
Peter
DerekB
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try later today and report any sucess or failure

Derek
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'd be intrigued to know where you're selling your "old" laptop, I can't give my Tosh 460CDT away.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

I'd be intrigued to know where you're selling your "old" laptop, I can't give my Tosh 460CDT away.

Hey.. if you are looking for a home for it... I take good care of old computers... as my wife and loft will atest! Wink

Regards
Peter
DerekB
Grafter

OK - managed to boot from the cd and fdisk then reformat then reload the hard disk. so I guess that something had got corrupted on the hard disk.

Seems to be working well.

If the price is right anything will sell in the Friday-Ad

thanks for the help - the digital manual wasn't much help

Derek
DerekB
Grafter

Regarding "not being able to give away old laptops etc " my own (dog rescue) and many other voluntary groups are always looking for basic machines that will handle email and word processing.

Derek
Bichon Frise Rescue
www.BichonFriseRescue.co.uk
N/A

Excellent point Derek! Perhaps I ought to consider donating some of the desktop PC's I have loitering in my loft. I keep them just in case someone asks me to test some Win 3.x/95/98 stuff... Perhaps others would make better use.
N/A

For cheap systems, for charitable, voluntry and other aid organisations, you could try contacting your nearest ITC centre.

In many cases, they privide second hand systems and laptops are rather low rates.

usualy around collection, restoration, finders fee (software including OS, and associated licence docs) and a small profit to aid and allow them to continue.
Community Veteran

Ok ok!! Yep!! I get the message, now looking for a local deserving cause to donate my aging laptop to -in the South Herts Watford, Kings Langley, Hemel Hempstead kind of area-

Let me know

And thanks guy's Cheesy

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

And Derek,

I didn't mean to hi-jack your enquiry..,

Sorry about that
Peter Shockedops:

DerekB
Grafter

No problem - I've received the help I needed and I'm grateful

Derek