Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop networking woes

colorado
Dabbler

Laptop networking woes

Hi all
I hope someone can help. I have inherited an old Compaq lte5250 laptop(120mh 32 mb ram Win9Cool, I want to use this as an internet access point for my daughter. I have purchased a pcmcia network adapter so I can link it into the network at home.

Now my problems start, to install it I need to run the win98 cd and guess what there is no cd drive. I have purchased a laplink serial cable and the relevant direct connection software also needs the win98 cd. Is there any way I can get the files off the 98 cd into the laptop? I have tried to copy some files from the CD to floppy but although the file system shows on the laptop there are no drivers showing in the file. Is there a problem with using a Winxp machine to copy files to floppy and then it being read on a 98 machine, the intallation disk that came with the network card reads fine so I am assuming the floppy drive is o.k.

I really feel like I am in a catch 22 situation here, any suggestions would be much appreciated.
3 REPLIES
N/A

JUST A SUGGESTION

do a search for *.cab files. If there is a copy of Win98 installed you should get a long list of sequentially numbered, I think 68, Win98 cab files.

These are usually contained in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs and they are a copy of the Win98 directory that is on the Win98 CD.

If this is the case, when asked for the Win98 CD, just browse to the above directory.

If not, you could easily remove the HDD from the laptop and install it as a second disk (using a special IDE adapter) on a desktop. Then copy the Win98 folder.

GB
N/A

Laptop networking woes

The cab files are only installed on 98 on a OEM build.

No, this isn't the OEM install (oemsetup.exe) on the 98 disk, but a seperate build disk that can be created.
colorado
Dabbler

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the replies, I managed to extract the files from the win98 cd with Explorer and a lot of patience,had to list every one and load onto a floppy. All running great now the network is up and working.