cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Screen

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Laptop Screen

A friend of mine, has asked me to look at his laptop, the screen has stopped working. When its switched on, it does appear to light up, ( well the dark screen gets a bit brighter!) and I can see a faint trapeziod image. When I waggle the screen up and down on the hinges, I sometimes get broad vertical white lines, and occ a few thin coloured lines as well. I have tried to remove the connector to the Mobo, and when its partially removed the screen sometimes goes very white, and sometimes I get lots of white vertical lines of varying thickness. Plugging the connector in again, screen goes darker. I have tried an external monitor, and that works fine, however, BIOS says the CMOS battery is low. Also the AC power supply has stopped working, so Im running off battery,which is very very low on power. ( he has always run this off the AC supply, never on battery power) Would a very low power supply cause this, or a failing CMOS battery. This BIOS when I see it via an external source, is reset to defaults, and dates etc. I am thinking more of the screen inverter or cable itself. Laptop is a satellite A10 Pro.
11 REPLIES
Aterlatus
Grafter

Laptop Screen

If it works on an external monitor then that almost rules out the graphics card as the faulty component. Sounds to me like a dead screen.
Community Veteran

Laptop Screen

Yeah, I thought that, but thought that a dead screen would not show anything at all, thought It may be due to a faulty connection cable or power inverter, as it does flash etc, and screen occ goes completely white when waggled.
holdtight
Grafter

Laptop Screen

Generally speaking when this happens it is either the VGA cable which is very thin and runs under the keyboard out the back and through where the hinges are

After time these can break due to lid being opened and shut so many times and sometimes you can get a signal or flickering by squeezing the bottom of the screen slightly

Whats more likely though is that the screen inverter has gone which is quite common but unfortunately just by the nature of laptops both are expensive to fix

Best bet would be to find out what it is for sure and depending on the make and model look out for a spares or repairs one on ebay
Community Veteran

Laptop Screen

Cheers.

I am not back at dismantling laptops, so I will try and find an inverter/cable on E-Bay.

Thanks

Chris
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Laptop Screen

I am no expert on them, but I remember reading somewhere that in some cases just because the screen appears to be dead it doesn't always mean the LCD screen itself is totally knackered.

Apparently there are other components related to the display (can't remember what), which are not too costly to replace if at fault.

Unless you're up for doing the job yourself, it might be worth seeing if there is somewhere who might be able to diagnose the problem for a not-too-costly fee and advise you what needs to be replaced - then you can decide whether to fork out for the replacement part.

I assume there are places such as this (assuming since I've never taken one in for repair myself).
holdtight
Grafter

Laptop Screen

in some cases just because the screen appears to be dead it doesn't always mean the LCD screen itself is totally knackered.
Apparently there are other components related to the display (can't remember what)

That`s the inverter and yes if a screen appears dead it doesn't necessarily mean its always the screen itself that's at fault

The inverter is wired onto the screen is easy to remove once you have the screen out and looks like a PCB board usually about 1/2 to 3/4" wide and a few inches long

@hesketh14 as hunthome says have it diagnosed properly so you know where you stand with it

what is the make and model of the machine as i have a load of assorted lappy parts and might just have something suitable, i might not but its worth a look

Bill.
Community Veteran

Laptop Screen

Thanks Holdtight.

I agree, the screen is not actually dead, there is something happening, and opcc as I said, it turns bright white.

The system is a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10

I have a new ribbon cable coming from E-Bay, and can get an inverter for 15 quid. Not sure how much it would be to have it professionally diagnosed. I suppose if the new cable and an inveter dont work, then it must be the LCD
holdtight
Grafter

Laptop Screen

A couple of things to note if your changing these parts yourself is just to take your time and with the ribbon cable also ensure its seated properly

And be very careful when removing and replacing the inverter they are delicate and they can sometimes be a pig to get off ive had people crack the screens when doing it themselves

Not sure about the inverter on yours is the A10 the tosh with the blue top silver bottom ?
Community Veteran

Laptop Screen

No, its got a silver top, and black base. Its actually the A10 pro. I will be careful, and see how it goes. Do you have any parts for this. There is actually a screen for a toshiba laptop going on E-Bay, Its for a toshiba 14.1 LCD TFT screen. Part number Model No. LTM14C406 L or VF2021P02. Says it should also fit a Tecra or satellite pro etc. Any ideas. Its going for £21 +£6 P+P. What do you think, it is worth while getting it just in caseHuh?
holdtight
Grafter

Laptop Screen

Yep i know the one its the satellite pro

The LTM14C406 L screen fits these but the satellite pro`s and tecra`s listed are older than yours running out at Pentium II`s and III`s so will be very different to yours

Satellite 4080 XCDT
Satellite Pro 4280 XDVD
Satellite Pro 4300
Size 14.1
Resolution XGA
Resolution Pixels 1024X768

Make sure you have the exact same ribbon cable and inverter coming for your model as they are all different in some small way

Whether i have anything for yours offhand i dont know untill i get a chance to look which wont be until saturday but i will look for you
Community Veteran

Laptop Screen

Thanks. I will not bother with the screen then. i appreciate your looking for me.

Rgrds

Chris