cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop LAN problem

Community Veteran

Laptop LAN problem

I have recently acquired a Microstar 2765 Laptop and it works fine apart from the LAN connection.
What happens is that the connection for the LAN reports that it has limited connectivity. In fact if I open the Network icons via the control panel and then click on the Local network one it shows that it has sent out umpteen bytes but has not received any.
The only way I have found to make it work again is to uninstall the Via Rhine II network card using Device Manager and then reboot.
Xp then sees the card as new hardware and puts the drivers back. This quite often (but not always) gets it working again until the next re boot when it's back to the limited connectivity again. Evil

I can work round this by using a wireless LAN which always connects without any problem, but I find it most annoying that the Network card is unstable.

Anyone else got one of these laptops with a similar problem? and have you managed to fix it so that it works every time?
18 REPLIES
N/A

Laptop LAN problem

I can only suggest two things:
1) Try and find the latest drivers for the laptop and the network card
2) run from a cmd prompt: netsh int ip reset
if that still doesn't work try netsh winsock reset catalog
Community Veteran

Laptop LAN problem

Been down the driver route and downloaded the latest ones from Via with no improvement.
I have tried the ipconfig options from a command prompt but again no different.
Im going to reboot now and make it fail again then try the netsh commands.
I'll let you know if that does aynthing. :roll:
N/A

Laptop LAN problem

Is this a PCMCIA card?

If so it could be the PCMCIA card port drivers that Windows XP loaded on automatically. I have had similar issues with old laptops and other embedded devices such as IRDA, Windows XP seems to find the totally incorrect drivers or with the right drivers nothing works right.

If you could try switching to the Default WinXp Drivers and then the Latest for the Laptop for the PCMCIA device it may sort it out. Or try some that are for a completely different model, it sounds stupid but its worked for me in the past.

Hope you get it sorted Wink
Community Veteran

Laptop LAN problem

@darksky
Ok I really though that the netsh winsock reset catalog had done the trick.
After three reboots it was still working and I was just about to celebrate when I tried a fourth reboot and yes youve guessed it. No connectivity again. Sad
I tried the netsh trick again, twice with it not doing anything, and have only managed to make it work again by uninstalling the card then another reboot.

@phearfactor
the PCMCIA card is the wireless LAN which works all the time. The cable LAN which fails is I suspect built into the motherboard.
I have tried other makes of card drivers but either they refuse to install or dont work when they have installed.

So I'm still open to suggestions on this problem. :roll:
N/A

Laptop LAN problem

either the netsh solution was a fluke, or you have a malware infestation, or the hardware is fried.

I do have a nice 10/100 netgear PCMCIA (and it is that old it is PCMCIA and not CARDBUS) I can sell Wink

I'd check for spyware:
Adaware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ - Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/ - spywareblaster: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html - Microsoft AntiSpyware http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx . Be sure to update each anti-spyware application and run them in safe mode with system restore turned off.

and for rootkits
RootkitRevealer : http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html
Community Veteran

Laptop LAN problem

Very definately not spyware or virus etc.
I have even reset the macine to factory default and it still happens.
Formatted the HDD and tried a later version of Xp (with SP2) and its still the same.

I'm becoming more convinced that this is a mechanical failure thats somewhat intermitant.

As stated in my original post I can bypass the problem as I have a wireless PCMCIA card that works every time.
Its just become a challenge and is annoying. :x
N/A

have you tried a different ethernet cable John?

If your laptop is virtually new and you have no problems connecting to the internet using the wirellss connection, It can only be 2 things:

- the eternet cable you use to connect to the router/network could be faulty

- the ethernet port build on to the laptop motherboard could be faulty or work intermittently.

If one of my users reports a problem similar to yours, the first thing I do it is to replace the ethernet cable. 70% of the times the fault disapperas.

I also try connecting the laptop on to a different port, to try to determine if the fault stays with the laptop, or with the cable/port and so on.

You can also try to connect a different laptop to the same cable/port to see what happens. If the other laptop works fine, then it must be the port on your laptop at fault.

I had 2 separate laptops with faulty ethernet ports at work, only this months, so if yours has that problem they should replace it or at least replace the motherboard under warranty.
Community Veteran

Laptop LAN problem

Nope not the cable. I have tried another PC over the same cable and that works fine.

I think that your second suggestion that the port is intermttantly faulty is more likely to be the cause.

It is a fairly new machine and in fact is still under waranty but I can see what will happen now if I go to the trouble of sending it back.
They will just restore the factory defaults and it most likely will work, so it will get sent back to me and then wont work again.
This could go on forever so as it works fine over the wireless network then its still quite usable and I think I will leave it at that.
N/A

Laptop LAN problem

John

A month ago I had a lot of problems when trying to get to work a PCMCIA Netgear card on my daughter's X31 IBM. This laptop was working fine when connectd through the ethernet cable, but the wireless part was working intermittently, or not at all. I downloaded all the latest drivers from IBM, but still no joy. The laptop was perfect, apart from the wireless issue!

After 6 emails and 2 hours on the phone to Netgear, all we could agree on was that it could be either the laptop or the wireless card at fault. So I decided to try the same wireless card on a friend's laptop.. and the card worked absolutely fine.

I then spent one day re-installing the IBM X31 and the Netgear wireless card worked ok. In the end I bought an IBM internal wireless card because my daughter did not like the silvery bit sticking out...

What I would do in your place it is to do a full reinstall of your laptop from the recovery CD or from the recovery partition, then you install the latest drivers and you see how it goes. What would not do it is to accept a brand new machine with a faulty port, because if the motherboard has a problem when it is new, it is quite possible that some other component will fail in the future. Probably when it is just out of warranty.. This means a new motherboard!

If it is a software related problem, the reinstallation will clear it, but if it is HW related, the very same fault will still be there.

You can also install "Everest home edition" from http://www.lavalys.com/, which will help you identify who makes the motherboard and all the various components in your laptop.
Community Veteran

Laptop LAN problem

John

What I would do in your place it is to do a full reinstall of your laptop from the recovery CD or from the recovery partition, then you install the latest drivers and you see how it goes. What would not do it is to accept a brand new machine with a faulty port, because if the motherboard has a problem when it is new, it is quite possible that some other component will fail in the future. Probably when it is just out of warranty.. This means a new motherboard!

Done that a couple of times already and it sometimes worked sometimes not.
I now have a problem that the recovery disk will no longer work. :?
The last time I used it it did some wierd things in that the CD rom ended up as drive C and the Recovery partition which used to be E ended up as D.
The original C partition became F :shock:

I have got all this jumble back to normal now by reallocating drive letters and installing Xp from another disk.
But the recover CD only gets as far as warning that all data will be lost on C then it just waits.
Hitting any key then just brings up an A> prompt.
All the original data is still there on drive E and it has the correct drive name Of RECOVER so I am at a loss as to why it wont do its stuff.

If I could get it back to factory default and have it with the LAN failed it may then be worth having it returned under warranty but untill I can do that I think I would be on a loser.

What I may try now is to copy the original partitions over to another PC and then remove and re-partition the laptop ones to the existing size then copy the E drive data back and see if that works.
And I thought computers wre supposed to make life easier :twisted:
psk10
Grafter

Re: Laptop LAN problem

Keep us informed of the out come ,and how you solved the problem .
I would send it back and state all the measures you have tried ,theres a good chance that if they see you have tried most things they will replace it .
You could contact Computeractive or Webuser they seem to get manufactures to get problems solved . And of course once you return it to the makers ,if they return it and it still has the fault they must repair or replace it even if the guarantee is up ,as now the law is on the side of the consumer.
N/A

Laptop LAN problem

I have to agree wiith psk10. If after all you have done the laptop is still not working correctly, you should ask for it to be replaced under warranty.

Like any other compurer item, laptop motherboards are made by the million in Taiwan, so it is quite normal to get a certain percentage of faulty ones.

Let us know what happens!
Community Veteran

Laptop LAN problem

Update.

Well after trying my plan of copying all the files out to another PC and then repartitioning etc. the Hard Drive actually crashed during the reinstall of Xp and could no longer be read by anything Cry

So I have now contacted the supplier who have arranged that it will be collected tomorrow and taken back to them for repair.
I have enclosed a nice letter detailing all the things that lead up to the final demise of the machine and hopefully they will either send me a new one or do a decent repair job on the original Smiley

The next intallment of this Saga will be in about 2 weeks which is the turnround time for repairs apparently. :shock:
Community Veteran

Laptop LAN problem

Arrrgggghhh "I dont believe it" to quote a phrase Cry

Laptop came back yesterday with a new hard drive fitted and all reset to factory default.
But when I plug in my LAN cable it's still unable to connect to my network.
So I uninstall the Network card and reboot letting it find it again and lo and behold it works again. Until the next cold boot when its back to the can't get IP address problem again.

So 2 weeks without the machine and it comes back just the same (appart from the new HDD)

I just dispair at the state of British industry.
Well I'll leave it now until Xmas is out of the way and have another moan at them.
Trouble is that it takes ages every time to reinstall all the software following a facttory reset Cry