Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN Ip Address

jabb0
Grafter

LAN Ip Address

If i turn my onboard lan connection on.
When my computer starts up its lags at a certain point and does nothing for ages.

I have narrowed the problem down to my ethernet adapter on my mobo.
WinXP Pro is trying to autonmaticly get an ip adress for this connection, but this always fails hence this is why it is taking so long.

With the side effect to this being that i can nolonger access my local network.

I have tried allocatiing an ip address which i made up, this fixes the startup time problem, but i still cannot access the local network.

Can anyone help me out?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

LAN Ip Address

You need to describe your network setup in more detail.

What PCs you have, what routers/ADSL modems you have and what is connected to what. ALso state if you have a router or other PC responsible for DHCP - this is used to automatically assign IP addresses to PC and is the normal way a local network oof PCs is automatically configured.

Also state what equipment you use for your ADSL connection (make/model etc).

You can't just choose an IP address, it must be one that is within the same address range as any other equipment you have on your local network. If your local network uses 192.168.0.X then the only IP address that will work is between 192.168.0.1 -> 192.168.0.254 and not used by any other PC or router.
jabb0
Grafter

LAN Ip Address

On am p2p netweork (direc connect)
Between PC and Laptop. Both on XP Pro.

I have got a gigabyte mainboard with a Realtek 8139/810x family ethernet port on board - this i what is goving me problems, the laptop is fine as it seems to be able to connect on occasion.

I tried using 192.168.0.1 which solved the time problem but then would not connect.
N/A

LAN Ip Address

check

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network/network.htm

for a guide to setup your network

are you connecting the laptop directly? and if so, why are you using a P2P app to share files, use FTP or just use the shares that windows creates

\\ip_address\c$ (C drive, replce the c$ with d$ etc for other drives)
MarkAngel
Grafter

LAN Ip Address

When you say direct connect, do you mean you are using a crossover cable, or via a Router\switch\hub?
N/A

LAN Ip Address

check

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network/network.htm

for a guide to setup your network

are you connecting the laptop directly? and if so, why are you using a P2P app to share files, use FTP or just use the shares that windows creates

\\ip_address\c$ (C drive, replce the c$ with d$ etc for other drives)

I found the easiest way to share files between my wife's and my own computer was to use msn messenger, over the router it's virtually instant.
N/A

LAN Ip Address

or you could do it the proper way and set up SMB shares (right click drive -> optiosn -> shares)

then goto \\pc\share_name\

then you can edit / copy / make / delete files all you like as if it was your own hard drive you are editing, no need for msn

buz