cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kerio has locked me out of windows XP, please anyone help!

Agent47
Grafter

Anyone,
Please help me get back my desktop PC.
I uninstalled KPF 2.1.5 using Norton uninstall 2000 then installed the latest version of the free home user KPF 4.
Big mistake! Everytime I start XP I get the welcome screen then a brief look at my wallpaper then the logon screen -which I don't usually get- as I'm the only user, and so, no password.
When I click on my Icon to logon I yet again get a brief look at my wallpaper then logged off, this happens even in safe mode.
How do I get back into XP to remove KPF 4?
I've got a wireless network DLink +604 router modem with a NAT firewall.
AVG installed - with KPF 2 - and the windows XP firewall switched off.
Will I have to use the windows set-up disk (I'd rather not , the last time I did it was to restore some damaged boot files and doing so wiped my C:\ drive ).
Any help much appreciated
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You could try starting in safe mode and remove kiro via add/remove programs. Just hit F8 while booting (just after the beep) to get the boot menu and then select safe mode.

For future reference it is always advisable to use the uninstall app that comes with kiro or any other program for that matter to uninstall it. While norton uninstall can remove a lot of stuff related to an apps install, it can also remove stuff that may be used by other apps. Your version is also quite old now so I would suggest you upgrade if you intend to stick with it.

I have had problems with norton uninstall in the past so I removed it and just used the add/remove programs method. I then use Norton windoctor (part of norton systemworks) to tidy up any registry issues afterwards.
Community Veteran

When I click on my Icon to logon I yet again get a brief look at my wallpaper then logged off, this happens even in safe mode.

I dont think he can even get into safe mode Peter ?Huh
Community Veteran

Safe mode selection is prior to windows booting, it's not selectable from the windows login screen. When you hear the beep when your PC is booting up (after it shows your devices), you can hit F8 to get to a boot menu where you have various windows boot options including safe mode.
Agent47
Grafter

I'm afraid John is right, I entered safe mode via F8 ( I even tried safe mode command prompt, but strangely It still enters the Windows GUI safe mode) and from there I get 2 logon icons -1 being Administrator- neither of which work.
I have a Windows 98SE installation on the other drive in my system (which I hadn't bothered to remove; which is a bloody good job too as it has got me out of some messes I can tell you), so after getting it up to scratch with the latest drivers I tracked down the Kerio folder in my XP program files, renamed it, then moved it to another drive.
No change, so I put it back.
I think Kerio has done something to XP itself. Reinstallation of XP is looming and I'm not sure if it will solve the problem or dig me into a deeper hole.

I have e-mailed Kerio UK support about this mess but they do state that e-mail support is not for the free versions of KPF. As yet I have not had any meaningful responce from them. I hope they will make an exemption and help me.

It's not the sasser worm virus.

Strange, I didn't know 'bl*ody' was a swear word, this forum has censored it.
Community Veteran

You could always try the recovery console. Just boot off the Windows CD and it will give you that option. This is likely to reset most of the windows system files but it still keeps your apps installed and may get you to a working solution without a complete reinstall.
Agent47
Grafter

Please explain how it can be done Peter, as I have just finished a long woeful tale on the microsoft forum of how -after an MBR curruption- I used the FIXBOOT command instead of MBRBOOT in the recovery console and ended up with a working but empty C drive(Handy tip: don't buy a D-Link DWL-510 Wireless adapter for a Windows XP system).
So I'm not keen on using the console, I think it would be a real last resort if I don't know what I'm doing.
You don't think just doing a reinstall will solve anything?
Agent47
Grafter

The problem is now sorted.
It appears a conflict between Kerio and Norton uninstall, which dameged some of the windows system files, so I used the repair option -when told I had damaged files- on the Windows XP install CD.
N/A

Glad you're sorted, but if you don't know already, repairing from CD removes some third party drivers e.g. chipset and Windows Updates so make sure you are protected against all known vulnerabilities.